Menu

Has anyone here ever taught a speech/debate class?

I'm gearing up for next year and need to find a good curriculum for teaching speech and debate to our high school students next year in our co-op.

My plan is to work on speech the first semester and then form teams for debate the second semester. We will have about 15-20 students for this and I want a curriculum that lays out the elements of speech and the different types of speeches that can be given. Also, something that will help us walk though debate--research, platforms, etc.

I would like there to be student materials also if possible.

Anyone found anything like this?

There are lots of materials available. Many have grown up around NCFCA (the national homeschool speech and debate league). Most debate books will teach either policy or Lincoln-Douglas, but not both. You will probably want to choose one style to start with.

*HSLDA (which launched NCFCA many years ago) carries an introductory debate curriculum.

*The Institute for Cultural Communicators (which also has a long history with NCFCA) publishes lots of speech materials.

*Monument Publishing also has also developed some speech and debate manuals. I think this is what our club moved to this year. (I no longer coach, but I believe this is what they ordered this year.)

HTH,

Lisa

There are lots of materials available. Many have grown up around NCFCA (the national homeschool speech and debate league). Most debate books will teach either policy or Lincoln-Douglas, but not both. You will probably want to choose one style to start with.

*HSLDA (which launched NCFCA many years ago) carries an introductory debate curriculum.

*The Institute for Cultural Communicators (which also has a long history with NCFCA) publishes lots of speech materials.

*Monument Publishing also has also developed some speech and debate manuals. I think this is what our club moved to this year. (I no longer coach, but I believe this is what they ordered this year.)

HTH,

Lisa

These are great! My DS competes in Speech and Debate and loves it. PM me if you would like more help.

Well, I'm not teaching "debate" or "speech" but I am teaching communications. I am using several books I picked up for cheap at places like Half Price book stores.

I do not recommend the Teaching Company's Great Speech set (and I usually like their stuff).

Let me know if you want to know what we have done.