Menu

Craft ideas for 7 yo?

I'm trying to figure out a good birthday present for my soon to be 7 year old. Her grandmother and great grandmother are both very elderly so I do the shopping for them and so far she's getting Zooloreto (a board game), a new dress for her American Girl doll, and a new Wii game (from my sister). She's a very artsy craftsy type kid and would like to get her something along those lines. We spend a ton of time reading aloud in the evenings and right now she's been working on cutting out paper dolls for the last three nights and it hit me that I could get something for her to do to replace that activity. I did a lot of latch hook and cross stitch when I was younger but I think she's too young for that. She'd probably like knitting but once again I think she's too young and I don't know how to do that to offer much help.

Suggestions for a good craft activitiy for a craft loving kid?

My DD is having her 7th birthday party on Saturday. I got her one of the make your own book kits from Michaels. It comes with ALL sorts of things in it, including an actual blank book. I think she's really going to like it.

Last year for Christmas I gave her a box FILLED with craft supplies....glue, tape, pipe cleaners, paper, magnets, wooden sticks, sticky jewels, pieces of felt, string, elastic, straws, paper, plates, pom poms, pieces of ribbon, googly eyes, buttons, empty toilet paper rolls, etc.

She pulls that out often.

My DD started latchhooking when she was 5 so I definitely don't think she's too young for that! I started cross-stitching when I was her age so that could work too if it's a simple pattern. DD can crochet too - things like dishrags, not complicated things. I'd say go for it!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I love the Child's Dream website. Those all look great. I know she'd love the beeswax kit.

I think she's going to get that and some cross stitching material. Just googling I found a ton of patterns for easy kid patterns that she'll love. Now I'll just have to figure out what to do with all the things she makes! :001_smile:

Any additional suggestions are welcome also. It's never too early to start planning for Christmas.