Menu

If we were to start using REAL Science for 2nd grade...questions

ChristusG

I want a structured science curriculum for next year when DD will be in 2nd grade. I've looked at Real science 4 kids and it looks pretty neat....something that DD would like.

But which would I begin with? Is there any sort of order? Or do I just pick one of the three? Also, I notice that there are only 10 chapters per book. Do you do a chapter per week? So I'll go through all 3 books for 2nd grade? At $75 per bundle??? Sounds kind of expensive for one year of science.

I'm not purchasing yet....I'm going to wait until I can look at it in person at the FPEA convention next month.

Thanks for any help!

ETA....DD is not a good reader AT ALL. She's actually in auditory and visual therapy for it. Would this be an okay curriculum for her? I see that there's quite a bit of writing. I guess I would have to really help her with a lot of the writing, right?

• 4 months later...

I just got this for my dd's too. My cousin used it for her 3rd grader last year and she loved it (even though she hated everything about school - which is why my cousin pulled her out of ps). I bought all 3 books, but got the texts from her at half price. She sold her teachers editions already.

I am starting RS4Kids biology with my 4th grader. We're also doing Chemistry next year. I bought the RS4Kids Lab materials from Home Science Tools. I like that the text is easy to understand and colorful for my dd, plus it's all there and if I need supplemental books I can always get from the library or research something online. I also like that it comes with a lab book for student. I think biology is a good starting point. I actually bought my sets from the For Sale board here and got it at a good price.