Menu

The university of Chicago school mathematic project

littlemommy

• 2 years later...

It mentions something about the elementary version being very poor. Here is more about it from the TPS web site: http://www.pottersschool.org/h?id=913474#math. I am still not set on what math curriculum we will move into from RightStart Math, so the description interests me due to its conceptual emphasis. Used copies on Amazon for student and teacher editions are listed on Amazon, and they are not expensive at all.

I'm curious regarding the description of EM as "fuzzy math"..... What does that mean? Can someone offer an example? Thanks!

"Fuzzy math" is a derogatory term for reform math. Historically, "fuzzy math" referred to any math program or math textbook that strongly neglected manual arithmetic in favor of students discovering their own knowledge and conceptual thinking. More recently I have also heard the term used to describe math programs that strongly neglect traditional algorithms in favor of alternative algorithms.

Here are two real 5th grade examples from our neighborhood elementary school (it helps to know that our schools delay teaching the traditional algorithm for division).:

Explain how one division question can have many answers. Use a specific division expression to support your answer.

32 divided by 5. Use the division expression to create 6 different word problems that match the answers below. Write the word problem in the appropriate box provided below.

1) The answer is 6

2) the answer is r 2

3) the answer is 7

4) the answer is 6 2/5

5) the answer is 6 or 7

6) the answer is 6.4