Menu

HOD users - questions, help please?

I am considering using HOD CTC for two of my ds, who will be in 5th grade in the fall. However, I have a few questions, and I wonder if anyone can offer input that could help me in my decision.

- I have noticed in the guide samples, instructions that tell the students things like "Write xyz in box A," or "Write such and so under the painting on page B," etc. I'm making up the wording, but the point is, from the limited bits I can see, it seems very scripted and I am wondering if there are notebooking and writing opportunities that require the child to think and come up with the answers on their own. I have one child in particular who is good at filling in the blanks as directed, but will not think hard and remember the information unless he is pushed. If all the answers are provided, he is not going to grow. So I suppose the question is, are all the answers provided, and notebooking scripted?

- I am also wondering if CTC could be "beefed up" and supplemented enough to provide a history program for my 8th grade ds, with separate materials for every other subject. He is a prolific reader, but some of the materials appear fairly advanced.

Thanks so much for any input you can share.

Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20, some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart.

I can't answer all of your questions but I will say that HOD does require the child to think and formulate their own answers. It is very detailed as well- and I think that is what you are seeing in the samples. CTC and up utilizes special student notebooking pages and there are specific directions regarding where to put your written work within those pages,etc.

There is a focus on written narrations with help for the student.

I think you need some kind of writing component as well- whether that is their choice or something of your own... but that is my thought about it. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in- we haven't used CTC.

HOD does consider Rod and Staff grammar an integral component-

but I do not. ;) (although we use Rod and Staff).

I would stay with what is working for you and what is comfortable. The Rod and Staff assignments are scheduled in the teaching guide- but there is no "extra" assigned by HOD that is outside of what is in the book, etc. So you can easily switch out the program for what you prefer.

I hope this helps a little. HOD does have very open-ended discussion questions in the guides that are designed to get students thinking- it can be frustrating if you don't know or have an answer- but we just move on after thinking about it for a little (if we don't have an answer).

I hope this helps in some way.

Rebecca

I have noticed in the guide samples, instructions that tell the students things like "Write xyz in box A," or "Write such and so under the painting on page B," etc. I'm making up the wording, but the point is, from the limited bits I can see, it seems very scripted and I am wondering if there are notebooking and writing opportunities that require the child to think and come up with the answers on their own. I have one child in particular who is good at filling in the blanks as directed, but will not think hard and remember the information unless he is pushed. If all the answers are provided, he is not going to grow. So I suppose the question is, are all the answers provided, and notebooking scripted?

The reason it has "xyz in box A" is because there are optional notebooking pages that go with it and those instructions correspond to that. The child is required to think and formulate their own answers.

I am also wondering if CTC could be "beefed up" and supplemented enough to provide a history program for my 8th grade ds, with separate materials for every other subject. He is a prolific reader, but some of the materials appear fairly advanced.

yes there are extra history reading assignments in the appendix under the Extension package section while having him do his own level math, LA and science.

Could I continue to use Intermediate Language Lessons, or is R&S and the writing program an integral part of the curriculum?

You can easily substitute ILL for R&S. You may also want to skip either the poetry study in ILL and use the one in CTC (which also includes painting) or you can just use the poetry in ILL for your poetry study. Same with dictation. Both poetry & dictation in CTC are also in the appendix.

HTH

I have used CTC, and you are correct that most of the notebooking in the history notebook is instructed in what to write and draw. Ther are several areas where it isn't however, and is left undirected. So I think it was a good combination. One thing I noticed too, since I had two in CTC at the same time, is that even when it would say, "draw an xyz in box A", they would both look so different from each other's. So there was a lot of room for individuality there. I also told my dd's that they didn't have to draw what it said to draw there, if they thought something else would go better there then I told them they could do so. Occasionally they would.

Yes it can be beefed up for an 8th grader. The links the pp put up will give you plenty of guidance on that. I did that with my 8th grader last year and it was just right for her.

MP

Thanks so much for the responses and the links. You've given me more to think about. I think my concern about just copying information stems from the fact that I have one child who can copy beautifully, but recall very little of what he's heard or copied.

I have been creating my own notebooking pages (very simple) on lined paper, making boxes into which he fits different portions of his narration - for instance, the Three R's of the New Deal. The boxes give him structure, but I ask him to tell me what category of information should be in each box - ie, how he wants the information divided. We talk through the information, I redirect him to important passages, etc, until he can identify the most important information. This has come so easily to some of my children, and with so much difficulty to this ds and a dd. With dd years ago and now with this ds, my goal is to teach them to think, not just copy, so I want to be sure that any curriculum I choose to use has that goal in mind as well.

I've read some of those links, and look forward to reading the rest. Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20, some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart.