Menu

Megawords, question on finishing sequence

If you started Megawords did you finish the 8 book sequence? If so did you find a period of time where the books were no longer helpful?

We started Megawords last year, at a later age, and book 1 was very necessary for ds. He's a delayed reader, always had issues with phonics, and needed the remedial work.

However he has blown through book two. His reading issue has always been with smaller words. His study of Latin was most helpful, especially with this book.

I have Megawords 3 to start next week. If he does well in book 3 should I continue the sequence or not?

I wish they hadn't changed the editions. By the time I purchase new with shipping it's 25.00 per level. That's at the point when my budget makes me question a subject's necessity.

Opinions?

I too found a great jump in the ability to hear the sound and patterns. I am thinking that I will continue through book 7. We should finish this before VFCR begins in seventh ... did I remember right? Therefore, I do not see the need for 8.

I am going to start dd in a spelling book from R&S. It was a tough choice between this one and Spelling Workout. You might want to try moving to spelling, perhaps even a level behind if needed.

:) Does this help you any at all?

I too found a great jump in the ability to hear the sound and patterns. I am thinking that I will continue through book 7. We should finish this before VFCR begins in seventh ... did I remember right? Therefore, I do not see the need for 8.

I am going to start dd in a spelling book from R&S. It was a tough choice between this one and Spelling Workout. You might want to try moving to spelling, perhaps even a level behind if needed.

:) Does this help you any at all?

That is helpful. We don't follow a WTM sequence and will probably not do a vocabulary program, because we do Latin.

We've done remedial work in phonics for so long with multiple programs, many of our spelling tries have flopped. Perhaps a regular spelling program could be worked back into the schedule. hmmm, off to think...thank you.

If you started Megawords did you finish the 8 book sequence?

Yes.

If so did you find a period of time where the books were no longer helpful?

No.

If he does well in book 3 should I continue the sequence or not?

I would because I'm a finish-what-you-start kind of girl. Plus, it was easy on me and easy on ds. He never complained about Megawords.

I wish they hadn't changed the editions. By the time I purchase new with shipping it's 25.00 per level. That's at the point when my budget makes me question a subject's necessity.

Opinions?

I hear ya. I used the older editions and it didn't seem that expensive to me.

I would because I'm a finish-what-you-start kind of girl. Plus, it was easy on me and easy on ds. He never complained about Megawords.

I hear ya. I used the older editions and it didn't seem that expensive to me.

Thanks, Sue, I always value your input. I'm still on the fence. We're starting book 3 today. It certainly doesn't overwhelm the schedule.