Menu

supplementing math

My ds (4th grade) is currently finishing BJU 5th grade math and will start 6th grade next year. He is usually strong at math (good at learning new concepts) but tends to need a lot of review. The 2nd half of this year I implemented 2 books that only take about 5 extra minutes-one is a daily word problem and the other is 4-5 computation problems. That way when he is working on a new concept he won't forget long division, etc.

It has been working pretty well. Lately though I've realized that he is going to need a little more help with fractions so I was thinking about using the "Key to Fraction" series next year. I've also been tossing around the idea of supplementing with Singapore math. I really think that they cover some great things especially in the 5th and 6th books.

The problem is that I don't want to overload him with math and I'm sure that if we did everything it would be too much. I definitely want to keep him on track to start algebra in 8th grade so spreading the BJU book over 2 years wouldn't be an option.

How do you supplement with one or more math books?

Well, I use Singapore math as our main math book so I haven't felt the need to supplement much. In lower grades I supplemented with some geometry books and logic books.

If you have a specific skill like fractions that you want to supplement or have extra practice in, I think the Key To series is a good one to use. Or if you have tons of extra time, you could always just make up your own extra problems!:D

We used the Key to Fractions workbooks for review. What I really liked for fractions, though, was the Marilyn Burns book Lessons on Introducing Fractions It really cemented fraction concepts for my dd. (Key to works on mechanics only, not concepts.) The book starts out by having you and the student make sets of manipulatives to use in games throughout the lessons. This was the only math program my dd said was actually fun, and it didn't add on a lot of extra time to our math that year.