Menu

Some questions about Singapore Math

We are using MUS and I'm very pleased with it. Dd is finishing up Gamma this month. I want to start over the summer with something use as a review, and catch some of the concepts that MUS misses in the early years because it is so focused on one concept at a time.

From reading many of the recent math threads I'm leaning toward Singapore Math and starting with 1B. I think starting with such an early level will help dd with her confidence and it will teach some of the things such as time, money, fact families, etc. that MUS doesn't go into so deeply.

Considering the above, which SM would be a good match? The standard edition or the U.S. edition?

For those of you that utilize more than one math program, how do you implement two different curriculums simultaneously?

TIA

Guest macmomma7

Hi

I use the singapore math US ed. It is great!!! I think starting a lower level will help and then you can breeze through it. We also bought a worksheet program so we could get extra practice in.

Good luck

Singapore Math has a FAQ section that address questions. For you question #18 might help.

Many years ago when I fell in love with this series I bought everything I needed for all 3 of my children from the early bird series up through 6B. We are happy with those editions but if I were buying now I would get the standard since they seem to have added some topics to the series.

HTHs,

Hi. I"ve been all over the Singapore sight lately, I'm thinking of adding Singapore as a supplement to RS.

I'm definitely going for the Standard edition, I think it covers slightly more areas than the US edition, though I think both would be good. Standard ed doesn't have a challenging word problem supplement book, but I think I'm going to get the one for US edition and use it anyway.

To implement both, for one thing we school year round, so in between RS levels I want to do some Singapore, and also just when we'd like to take a break from RS for awhile. I don't think I'm going to get real neurotic about matching up subjects either (which will be a challenge, I'm "naturally" neurotic about that kind of thing!)

Those are my ideas so far, I haven't actually done it yet, so I don't have experience, just a direction. :) I'll probably order the 1B or 2A wkbk and txtbk later this month.

Good luck!

I think starting a lower level will help and then you can breeze through it

That was my thinking too. Dd has had such a struggle getting the facts memorized. I think doing SM will help with the confidence.

Singapore Math has a FAQ section that address questions. For you question #18 might help.

Thanks for the link. I totally missed the FAQ section when I was at the site. I've read all of them now, and think I have too much information. LOL

I don't think I'm going to get real neurotic about matching up subjects either (which will be a challenge, I'm "naturally" neurotic about that kind of thing!)

That would be me. :lol: I think since I'm going to start with 1B and work from there, matching up the subject matter will be difficult. I'm thinking that maybe our regular schedule working though MUS Delta and 15-20 minutes of SM depending on how fast dd gets the concept. If it is review it may go faster.

I remembered that I didn't ask if I need the TE or the HS guide. How difficult is it to teach SM at the early levels without those? They look to be a bit pricey. If I can get by without one I really could use the money for something else.

Thanks again.

I remembered that I didn't ask if I need the TE or the HS guide. How difficult is it to teach SM at the early levels without those? They look to be a bit pricey. If I can get by without one I really could use the money for something else.>>>>

You'll be fine without them. I never used them all the way through 5B which is how far I got before ds went to school.