Menu

Easier books to correspond to the list from HO2 Middle Ages

Mallory

Although I am going to combine my 5th and 6th graders in HO 2 next year, my almost 10yo isn't ready to read most of these books (I would say his reading level is probabaly more like 4th grade then 6th grade). Does anyone have great easier to read stories that are similar or recomendations for easier versions?

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli-- I am thinking Castle Diary. Is that an easier read?

The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelley

The Story of King Arthur and his Knights by Howard Pyle

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Jane Gray

For these I'll just have him read a smaller section and we might read some tales aloud. So in this case I would just like to know what stories not to miss ;)

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights retold by Geraldine McCaughrean Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

Tales from Japan by Helen and William McAlpine

• 2 weeks later...

Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall are both good books, but slightly old fashioned in their storytelling style. Might he find something of a similar reading level but a more modern style a little easier? I really, really like Avi's Crispin series, which starts with Crispin: the Cross of Lead. There's good history in there too. Also, sticking with the Newbery theme, I read Good Masters, Sweet Ladies on my own and was very blah about it, but when we read it aloud with the kids, it was so, so good. So I feel like that could also be a good general fiction choice, maybe one you could read aloud with him by going back and forth?

Castle Diary and The Minstrel in the Tower are often suggested as lower level books but they might be too easy for a 10 yo. Still, they could be subbed in for something as well. Really, it sounds like he would be the perfect reading level for The Midwife's Apprentice, which is a wonderful book but might be too girl-centered for many boys. All Karen Cushman's medieval books are very girl centric, but would definitely be right at a 4th grade reading level.

For the Arthurian and Robin Hood tellings, maybe look at some of the longer picture book versions. I really like Michael Murpurgo's retellings. I'm sure others will have good suggestions for those.

I would definitely pick Castle Diary over Door in the Wall. In fact, there is a full-color illustrated version of Castle Diary that I would highly recommend. Text by Richard Platt, illustrations by Chris Riddell. By Candlewick Press. It's wonderful, and the visuals are so helpful and fun!

There is a Great Illustrated Classics version of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. (It says Howard Pyle on the cover, but it has been adapted to about a 4th grade reading level by Joshua E. Hanft.) It's great! We love Illustrated Classics at our house. The illustrations are black and white, but plentiful.

Robin Hood: I would imagine there is a Great Illustrated Classic version of Robin Hood, but I don't own it. I DO own and recommend a graphic novel Robin Hood by Aaron Shepard (published by Stone Arch). I also like the Dorling Kindersley Classics book called Robin Hood by Neil Philip (full color illustrations). I KNOW the graphic novel would be an easy enough read. I think the DK book also would be, as would be any illustrated classic version of Robin Hood.

I'm not familiar with the other books you mentioned. HTH!

Yesterday's Classics has Stories of Robin Hood for ages 8-10 which might work...

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=legends

Maybe The Sword in the Tree by C. R. Bulla here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Tree-Trophy-Chapter-Book/dp/0064421325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303437915&sr=8-1

Just some ideas...:001_smile:

My children, boy age 5-6 (kindergarten) and girl age 8-9 (grade 3) LOVED Good Masters, Sweet Ladies, read aloud. They also loved Castle Diary, and while it wasn't too difficult for the younger one, it was still meaty enough for the older one.

They have also really, really loved the following, I think all from Yesterday's Classics, but found at mainlesson.com (there are a ton of books there -- you can probably find several things that are just at your son's level). Sometimes the syntax was a little much for the younger one and needed some clarification, but he still loved them and begged for more.

Stories of Beowulf Told To The Children, H. E. Marshall

Our Little Celtic Cousin of Long Ago, Evaleen Stein

Our Little Norman Cousin of Long Ago, Evaleen Stein (There is also OL Frankish CoLA and OL Crusader CoLA, but we have not personally read these.)

Stories of Roland Told To the Children, H. E. Marshall (The children weren't so into this one, so we didn't finish it. We're also hoping to read the ones about Guy of Warwick and William Tell. We're about to start Stories of Robin Hood, and it looks great.)

King Arthur and His Knights, Maude Radford Warren (They really loved this one!)