Menu

Has anyone used TTC biology videos? I'm thinking of purchasing Biology: Science of

Biology: Science of Life, and wonder if any here have used it, or care to offer a brief opinion.

It does look quite intense and wonder if it may prove to be too much. My student is currently using Apologia (and is doing quite well), but I thought it may be nice to use to supplement.

Thanks for your opinions... :)

Not sure this will help. My dd really liked the TC Biology; she thought the lectures were well done. But she has spent a lot of time reading about biology topics so I wouldn't call her a typical student. She did biology last year in 8th grade. This year in 9th, she did the TC Chemistry and found it very challenging.

My dd15 will be wrapping up Biology this June. We used Biology:The Science of Life DVDs by TTC, and we all found Professor Stephen Nowicki to be boring because 99% of the time he read from his notes. We could have probably gotten the audio CDs, but then we wouldn't have been able to look at the images. And we (hubby, myself, and dd) all thought there could have been more images.

Don't get me wrong though. DD found the DVDs very useful for understanding the concepts of replicating DNA, the process of DNA to RNA and RNA to Protein, Glycolisis, Cellular Respiration, Chemiosmotic Theory, Photosynthesis, and the rest. She's taking an hands-on lab Biology course, and did very well in class when they dealt with those concepts. We only used those sections of the set. She's doing dissections now so she doesn't use the DVDs anymore. I think it's something she could use again in college given all that microbiology stuff.

My dd15 will be wrapping up Biology this June. We used Biology:The Science of Life DVDs by TTC, and we all found Professor Stephen Nowicki to be boring because 99% of the time he read from his notes. We could have probably gotten the audio CDs, but then we wouldn't have been able to look at the images. And we (hubby, myself, and dd) all thought there could have been more images.

We've done a lot of TTC series and in general I prefer the audio only versions to the DVDs. Maybe with something like an art history lecture, I'd go with video, but otherwise, it just didn't connect with me well.