Menu

He has stopped freaking out!!!

Recently I have started to make all the kids help out with house cleaning. They are getting older, our house is much bigger and I just can't do it all anymore! My ds 12 (autism high functioning) has actually been made help clean. At first he was like hmmm this is different but OK. Until the dishes outburst. My oldest dd about had a melt down it was not fair that the other kids chores rotated but she was always stuck with dishes. No that wasn't fair so I decided that we all helped with dishes. One does the plates, one does the cups and so on. The boy freaked. He hated putting his hands in that water. You would have thought I was killing him. Yes it is a sensory issue I know this but..I am not driving to his home everyday to do them when he grows up so gotta learn sometime. Today was the first day HE DID NOT GET UPSET!!!! No complaining, no tears and no wanting to dry his hands after every.single.thing. I am so happy for him and for me.

Yay!!!

I relate. My almost 16yr old Ds still cringes when doing dishes. He is usually okay doing his own dirty dishes, but to touch anyone else's is torture.

Which really, isn't an issue for us as we have a dishwasher and everyone is supposed to put their dirty dishes in it or wash their own dirty dishes by hand.