Menu

How do you schedule one child....

try to work with it then. I have 4 and 2 of them love to get it done in one sitting and 2 love breaks. So I do the more time consuming subjects (math grammar) with the ones who want to get done,and let the other 2 work on subjects that they can easily do on their own and be able to take a break. By the time I've finished with the other 2 then they have had enough of a break so that I can then do math/grammar with them. Am I making any sense? If not then just let me know. I can try to break it down for you. I know it can be a juggling act trying to do it all. For me, I'd just like to get done. However, I've noticed they tend to work better if I can give them those small breaks. HTH!

Right now my little ones (3 and 6) have lots of brakes through the day while DD 9 does more work. We do things like science and history together in the afternoon and independent stuff in the morning. Since the independent stuff is independent (what else would it be??:confused:) it doesn't really matter about a schedule. My little ones don't have much work to do so no one is going for hours longer than anyone else.

For the schedule loving child, go ahead and make a schedule. This will not only give the needed structure, but it will also let the other child know when you are available to work with them and when you are not.

For the less structured child, give him/her a list of what needs to be accomplished for the day. I would make one column of assignments that require some teaching or 1 on 1 time with you and a second column for subjects that can be done independently. This allows the child to choose the order in which to do the work. While the other child is on break, you can check in and let him/her select which assignment to work on with you.

HTH

I'd set him on a path of something that would take a longer block of time (or several things) and let him go. For instance, can you set up his math, language arts, etc. and then let him do the written work without standing over him? Perhaps add in his read-alone time so that you'd get a longer break before he needs you again? (I'm not sure what age/grades they are, so that would determine what kind of "larger" blocks of time we're really talking about....)

Then I'd work with the other child who needs more attention during those blocks of time. Perhaps give that child a break or something creative that they can do on their own for a short time when you need to turn back to child one, etc.

When I started hsing my younger son, who is 5 1/2 years younger than my older, I would go through the work for the day with my older son and answer questions, give examples, just in general get him started on his day and then turn my attention to my younger son.

I had short (about 20 minute) break periods scheduled for my younger son at various times of day so that I could turn my attention back to the older one to check up with him. During these times the younger son would listen to a book on tape or watch a video; listen to music on tape, etc. I did a lot of his Bible on tapes that year he would learn memory verses set to song, sing along with Wee Sing Bible Songs, work Bible puzzles that we'd gotten at the Dollar Store, do coloring of Bible pages related to what we were studying at the time, etc. I also did a "Music and Movement" time when he would listen to children's music and play along on various rhythm instruments that we own, play with puppets, play with his grocery store set-up to practice making change, etc.

Regena