Menu

Mp3s on teaching a gifted child?

Halcyon

I would love to find some Mp3s on this topic, preferably by SWB (love her audios) but I'd love to hear about anyone you admire. I am struggling to find the best way to teach my younger; my older, who is gifted in a very different way, appreciates structure, as do I. My younger does not and I don't feel I'm incorporating his unique approach to learning into our homeschool.

Wouldn't it be nice if both children had the same learning style? :glare:

I don't have any mp3s to suggest but I found Hoagies website and Lisa Rivero's homeschooling book very helpful.

www.hoagiesgifted.org/gifted_101.htm

www.giftedbooks.com/authors.asp?id=51

I've read Lisa Rivero's book, but I'm taking it out of the library again to re-read. It seemed the book bent more towards unschooling and not classical education. I have no issue with unschooling, but given that one of my children is following a classical model, I'd like the other to do the same-gosh, I wonder if there aer any homeschooling parents out there who are doing classical with one child and unschooling with another. Ack. That would be hard.

I've read Lisa Rivero's book, but I'm taking it out of the library again to re-read. It seemed the book bent more towards unschooling and not classical education. I have no issue with unschooling, but given that one of my children is following a classical model, I'd like the other to do the same-gosh, I wonder if there aer any homeschooling parents out there who are doing classical with one child and unschooling with another. Ack. That would be hard.

I'd love to hear SWB speak about classical ed and the gifted child. :D

I'd love to hear SWB speak about classical ed and the gifted child. :D

Me too. What strikes me about my younger is that he's voracious and self-directed, but not interested in a structured approach to learning. Boo for me :( LOL. Sometimes he'll do 10 pages of math, other days he refuses.

Me too. What strikes me about my younger is that he's voracious and self-directed, but not interested in a structured approach to learning. Boo for me :( LOL. Sometimes he'll do 10 pages of math, other days he refuses.

My k'er is very similar. He definitely has a different personality than his older brothers. He likes to discover things on his own, and do things on his own schedule. Maybe it's a younger sibling thing?

I wonder how much of it is a maturity thing? I know even my oldest was kind of like that in his preK years (especially age 4, and probably a little bit into age 5). He was doing things above his "grade level", and would sometimes do pages and pages of a workbook, but if I actually tried to teach him, he'd resist big time and it was a waste of time for both of us. He did better just learning on his own. Now at 6 though? He is great and easy to teach. Amazing what 2 years' difference has made. :D

My 2nd child is also very different from my first. My first is very straightforward... academics just come easily, so he just works ahead at a steady pace. He's easy to figure out (though he still sometimes throws me for a loop with how he thinks about math). The second child though? He was so behind his other peers for a long time, then suddenly jumps ahead in certain areas. Sometimes he acts like a year younger than he really is, yet he has bursts of thought that are quite advanced for his age. He clearly thinks differently from my oldest. Even his speech therapist notices these things and points them out. He also LIKES being taught at age 4, whereas the oldest didn't. But he's just so hard to figure out. Things turn on in his brain one day and suddenly he understands things at more depth, when a week before he had no clue about the basics of the subject.

It would be nice if all my kids learned like my oldest. Unfortunately, that isn't going to be the case. I imagine I'll probably have 3 completely different children. Number 2 is definitely my wiggly one. Number 1 was never wiggly at all. It makes me laugh when number 2 just won't.stop.moving. :lol:

If you get a chance to hear SWB's lecture on Homeschooling the Real (...) Child, she had a lot of different methods to apply to different styles of children while still fitting in the classical model. I hope she'll get that lecture on the PHP site sometime, as it was wonderful. I think some things can still be done in a bit of an "unschooly" manner, like science, and still generally follow a "classical education". Other things, you might just have to change the method of teaching, rather than the whole educational philosophy.

But really, at age 5... your son *might* still change in his ability to handle formal academics. I wouldn't throw out the classical education quite yet. Remember he's 5, and he may still think like a 5 year old, even if he's able to do math and language like an older child. I often have to remind myself of this for my own sons. ;) Note the comment in my sig for DS2 "when he wants to". I'll start requiring a little more at 5, and be whole hog "You are doing school" at 6, whatever level he's at. Actually, he's a November birthday, so I'll give him until the fall that he turns 7 before I require full on formal school with him (when he would be first grade if he went to public school).