Menu

Sex vs Violence vs Profanity...which bothers you most as a parent?

For me, it's the profanity. It's not just the kids saying it, though. We were walking through Target and the mom's yacking on the cell phone, **%$ this, %$#@ that, stops to swear at her kids, continues swearing on the phone. Unbelievable.

Even in the classroom, the kids seem desensitized to it. They drop words, then act surprised. "I said what? Oh, sorry..."

Violence bothers me the most. Dds have heard profanity and know not to use it. They know about s*x and I don't want it to be taboo. The violence in movies and books and on tv today can be pretty horrible though. I wish I could unsee a lot of it. I am not able to process for myself why people commit the acts of violence that are portrayed today and what we see on the news. I don't want my dds to see or read a lot of that and so I am more protective in that area right now.

Violence is not acceptable now and never will be. I don't want them to ever be physically violent so we do our best to keep them from being exposed to anything that even hits at violence as acceptable.

Really? Not even in defense of one's person, family, property, or nation?:confused: