Menu

Recipe for Reading manual

I've seen mentioned on this site that you can design your own OG program with the Recipe for Reading manual. I've looked at the samples extensively on the eps site, but I am still wondering how you can design your own program? There is a definite scope and sequence, workbooks and readers to go along with that sequence, so it seems to me that it is a "program" itself. The sounds, phrases and sentences for dictation woulod depend on staying right on track with RfR's sequence. I'm just looking for some multisensory ideas and some ideas to help students remember the sounds for the graphemes (such as ou, ay, ai, etc). The price is certainly appealing, but i'm wondering if you can really only get the full benefit if you order all of the components....I know how important following a sequence and teaching to mastery are.

I am having no difficulty just following the internal order of the manual but felt using LiPs first was a great resource for me and my dtr.

I don't move ahead until my dtr passes the review tests. I didn't order their workbooks because I have I See Sam readers and Apples and Pears Book A. This combo is working out nicely for my dtr.

I did have experience with Spalding's method which has helped me with RfR.

I think the key to RfR are the dictation exercises, constant review of your home made index cards you are asked to make and just moving at your student's pace.

I rely on the I see Sam readers for the fluency part and A&P to just get her up and spelling and to work on those tough words like want, you etc. Beginning of this year she couldn't even spell or take a lesson from dictation.

VinNY,

I also use the I See Sam readers, as they are my favorite for struggling readers. I was really wanting some multi-sensory methods to add to that sequence , but thought the RfR manual would go out of sequence, does that make sense?

Are there review tests in RfR? If you have time, could you give me an example of the index card you mentioned? And, maybe an example of a multi-sensory activity? Okay, I'll stop questioning you, LOL.... I would really appreciate it any more infor you or anyone else can throw my way.

VinNY,

I also use the I See Sam readers, as they are my favorite for struggling readers. I was really wanting some multi-sensory methods to add to that sequence , but thought the RfR manual would go out of sequence, does that make sense?I am using RfR as my clean up program.:001_smile: Does that make sense? The multi-sensory suggestions for phonemic awareness are primarily in the front of the manual..air writing, writing in sand etc. I had used LiPs first so we kind of breezed through that part. They gave nice suggestions for the vowel sounds..'u' sound came from the stomach so they suggested you clasp your hands at the level of your abdomen to form the shape of the letter u. As you hit your stomach with your clasped hands, make the sound (u). that worked like a charm for my dtr. Also they use alot of alliteration examples for the child to hear the sound you are working on

Are there review tests in RfR?Yes , frequently and if they can not read and spell that list with ease..you are to go back and work on that lesson and they have column b of the review test to try again, then column c, then d./COLOR][. If you have time, could you give me an example of the index card you mentioned?First you make phonogram cards of the letters and you drill those sounds..and keep adding to the drill as you learn more sounds (I use my Spalding phonogram cards.) I have made index cards for beginning and ending blends, and on the other side words to correlate i.e 'spr'/spring. I made index cards with compound words..mail then man..put together mailman. The same with words like tan/gram (seperate cards but then put together child reads tangram./COLOR] And, maybe an example of a multi-sensory activity? Okay, I'll stop questioning you, LOL.... I would really appreciate it any more infor you or anyone else can throw my way.

I interlibrary loaned the book first to take a look. I don't regret the purchase. Other inexpensive purchase was Dr. Jerome Rosner's book Helping You Child Overcome Learning Disabilities. The auditory perceptual skills in the back of the book were such a help..even the SLP noticed. LiPs worked wonders for my dtr because of her language impairment.