Menu

OPG and ETC

Lisa R

Currently we are using RME and the RME workbooks and it's going well. We finish the book next week. However, I noticed RME doesn't seem nearly as complete as OPG. My dd likes the RME workbooks and it does give her some reenforcement of the concepts she's learning. I'm thinking of using the second part of OPG next year for dd though since there is so much more in that book.

So, if you use OPG and ETC how well do they go together? Do I need to use ETC at all?

Thanks!

Lisa

Did your dc find it confusing if what they were working on in OPG wasn't the same as what they were working on in ETC?

Also, I'm planning on starting AAS level 1 with dd. Is all this too much? Should I just start the spelling and not do OPG or ETC? Or just do AAS and OPG? :confused:

Thanks!

Lisa

Did your dc find it confusing if what they were working on in OPG wasn't the same as what they were working on in ETC?

Also, I'm planning on starting AAS level 1 with dd. Is all this too much? Should I just start the spelling and not do OPG or ETC? Or just do AAS and OPG? :confused:

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa,

Here's my two cents.....

OPG is fantastic. Go all the way through it. It's a lot of fun too. I'm going through it for the second time and love it even more than the first time around.

Explode the Code is good and provides a nice framework for handwriting practice. I used it for that :D although plain old copywork is nice too. It all depends on your kiddo and what else you're doing. Try it and see if you like it! You should peek at the scope/sequence and/or the TOC for each ETC book and try to place your dc in the right book (based on what you've done in RME). If you're not sure about placement or are concerned about redundancy then skip ETC and do copywork instead. Focus on OPG and AAS.

All About Spelling is a GREAT program and really supports learning to read quite well. You should start it and see how far you want or need to take it. Not all kiddos end up needing it (I have one of those) but some do. You'll find your groove.

There is a place for each of those within your curriculum arrangement. You need to decide what is important to you. Don't worry about your child getting confused or trying to line them up. You'll figure out how to flow with everything once you get started.

Thanks for the advice, Katrina. I'm planning on using WWE and FLL as well as AAS so maybe that's really all I need. I'll also probably go through OPG. I kind of know where dd would start that.

I have to laugh at myself! This is my third child to homeschool. I have 2 high schoolers but sometimes it feels like my first time all over again. So much has changed since my boys were in first grade!! :lol: