Menu

Another TOG w/ littles question

Tracy

We are nearly finished with our first year of TOG. I have not tried to do the multi-week read-alouds this year, as I was thinking that it would be overkills for my 5yo. So I am wondering if those of you who only have LG or UG children do those read-alouds? Do the littles like them, or is my time better spent on other high-interest read-alouds (you know, Chronicles of Narnia, Pippi Longstocking, Charlotte's Web, etc.)?

We are nearly finished with our first year of TOG. I have not tried to do the multi-week read-alouds this year, as I was thinking that it would be overkills for my 5yo. So I am wondering if those of you who only have LG or UG children do those read-alouds? Do the littles like them, or is my time better spent on other high-interest read-alouds (you know, Chronicles of Narnia, Pippi Longstocking, Charlotte's Web, etc.)?

I really don't do the TOG read-alouds, but I come from years of SL and fit in a lot of our SL books where we can. For younger kiddos, I would use read-alouds that you pick for your dc. There are just too many great books out there to be limited by TOG's selections. That's just my humble opinion:001_smile:

blessings,

lisa

I really don't do the TOG read-alouds, but I come from years of SL and fit in a lot of our SL books where we can. For younger kiddos, I would use read-alouds that you pick for your dc. There are just too many great books out there to be limited by TOG's selections. That's just my humble opinion:001_smile:

blessings,

lisa

Yes, that is what I was thinking. At what age do you suggest adding in the read-alouds?

We've done some of the read alouds this year & skipped others- we didn't do Pipe, Paddle & Song or Carry On, Mr. Bowditch because I thought they were both to long (although I read them both myself & LOVED them!). We did do some of the shorter ones- we just finished The Matchlock Gun & my kids were totally enthralled.

I am thinking 8-10 is about when we will add the read-alouds. I really prefer kid books: My Father's Dragon, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, etc. for our read alouds right now. I don't have an example off the top of my head but I have thought the options get better after Year 1.

The only book I see identified as a RA for Year 1 is God King. We own it but we started our year late and missed several weeks covering local requirements so we are not there yet. I don't want to speed through it just to get done so I may end up starting our TOG Years in January each year. Anyway, off topic :lol:.

For Year 2 there are six. Since they are all used between LG and D, I am looking at getting four out of the six. I am not getting the Shakespeare book because I have two Charles and Mary Lamb books given to us as a gift by my friend and I really like those and the one on the Renaissance Artists, which is not available anywhere else (only through the market place) and Bookshelf Central wants $28 for it. I am adding another resource for that one and there are plenty of nice resources on the topic at my library.

Besides the fact that the RA's are used for all three levels, I like that they tie in with what we are studying in History. If they prove to be too much I will save them for our next cycle.

We have many of the Classics and I want to slowly add more of the unabridged versions. We read those as bedtime stories.