Menu

Multi-age Science and History Curriculum

I'm looking for multi-age History and Science curriculums that would work for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th grader (so I could teach all three at once) that wouldn't require a ton of extra books but isn't super light. The youngest is wayyyy into science & history, so one that it's bit more than what an average 2nd grader would learn is okay. We are Christians and I'd prefer a Christ-inspired curriculum.

Thank you in advance for replies- I've asked quite a few questions lately! :)

We will be using Apologia Botany for science and Mystery of History Vol 1 for History next year (4th, 3rd, and 1st grade). The Apologia books (you can decide which one to start with) and MOH are Christ-centered and would work great for the ages of your dc. We bought the kit to go with Botany so we will be sure to do all of the experiments/activities. I also ordered the notebooking journal for my oldest two. For MOH, I'm thinking that each day we'll read a lesson and I'll have them draw a picture and write a bit about what they learned, and then file in a notebook. The book has instructions for making a timeline and memory cards, but I think we will keep it simple and do everything on a notebook page instead.

As for extra books, we will read some when we feel like it, but they aren't required with these courses. I do have an atlas and some other reference books for history.

This is why we do Winter Promise. One theme that would include Science + History would be "Sea & Sky", although we have not tried that one yet. We've done American History, and now are doing Ancient History with Chemistry. We are planning to do Quest for the Middle Ages with Human Body & Forensics for science next year.

Edited by bnbacademy

This year, we are doing Exploring Countries & Cultures by MFW. It's not necessarily history, but more of a social studies program with emphasis on geography and cutlures of the world. The science focuses on the environment, related to the area of study. It doesn't require a ton of books, but I'm not sure if it's too many for your liking.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/10/0/1

but just wanted to add that Apologia is definately God-centered, and you only need to buy the one book. It's very mom-friendly and has interesting pictures and is well-written, but not light, IMO.

Truthquest has a Biblical commentary to go along with tons of living book choices for different age groups. To narrow, I use www.simplycharlottemason for their free curriculum guide---they have history books for each time period for each grade level. Most are in the Truthquest guide (at least for the year I'm using, our first year:) I go through the TQ guide and mark all the books we'll use, some as family read alouds and some to assign to each child. Hope that was clear:) Gina