Menu

Song School Latin question... 3rd grader?

YarnAddict

Do you think my 3rd grader would be ok w/ SSL? I think I saw it is for K-2nd. I'm looking for a gentle intro to Latin if we do add it because I don't want to overwhelm myself/DD with us going back to homeschooling after a year of PS. I looked at the sample pages and it looks awesome, love that she could learn so much at a young age. I am sure we'd need to move to something more intensive later on, but since I'm not comfortable with Latin myself, I thought this might work well for us.

My then-third grader went through SSL in a few weeks. She enjoyed it, though she didn't care for the CD and didn't listen to it. That said, IMO it's more about building enthusiasm for the language than providing substantial learning about the language (i.e., it's more fluff, not that there's anything wrong with that), so if you end up not having time for it, I don't think you'd miss it a bit. It's not as though it's a pre-requisite for anything or it's going to make the next curriculum a whole lot easier - if that's what you're looking for, I'd do GSWL, which, in contrast, is substantial (a grammar approach).

I looked at LFC over the summer for my 8 yo ds. I had NO idea of how I would teach this (even though I have the videos) and felt that he'd HATE Latin. We started SSL a couple of weeks ago. He's loving it, my 5 yo ds not so much. So we're not askign the 5 yo to do it, just be polite if we listen to the CD in the car. (You know he'll absorb.) We're likely going to be doing GSWL in the fall or whenever we finish up. Just can't make that LFC leap yet.

HTH,

KB

I use SSLatin with both a 2nd grader & a 4th grader. They both love it! I feel like it's plenty for my 4th grader, and she tends to be my "wordy" girl. She loves writing & language. I wanted to start off gentle with Latin, too, since I don't have a in depth background. We love it. Totally recommend the online resources on the publishers website. There is an online quiz game & tons of printable coloring sheets to go along with each chapter.

Hope that helps!:)

http://headventureland.com (Quiz Game)

http://classicalacademicpress.com (Coloring sheets & other freebies)

What is GSWL?

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking over the samples and my older DD was pretty fascinated by it. I also found a coloring book I could have my little one color in (and my oldest if she wants to). I'm hoping to get her excited about learning another language, and it sounds like this will do just that. Thanks :)