Menu

Advise me please!

UmMusa

Good Morning,

I'd like a little help here.

I'm not sure where to 'be' in the 4 year cycle of Science. This year I taught Life Science to my 3rd and 4th graders, and it is our first year homeschooling. Ok, so that is like Biology which is the first year of the cycle.

They would both LOVE Earth and Space for next year, but I can't find one suitable for Logic stage and am hesitant to buy one made for grammar stage just to add more work.

I like how Elemental Science has Physics suitable for 4th and 5th graders, as this is exactly the grades of my older two. If i go from Biology to Physics, then what would I do the following year!! (Well, for sure Earth and Space) How important is it to get them in order or does it even matter?

Advice, opinions...

The idea is to have science match up with history. 'The Well-Trained Mind' has great recs for how to do this. Bio/Life Science go with Ancients, because it was one of the first sciences. Earth/Astronomy with early Ren, because those sciences really blew up then. Chemistry with Early Modern (for the same reasons) and then Physics (same reasons).

hth

I don't think it's that important to line the science up with history or do science in a particular order. Did you check the WTM recommendations for logic stage earth & space? If your kids want to do that, I'd try to find something at their level on that topic. If the kids don't care, chem and physics are usually more for that age group.

I remember reading on the Elemental Science yahoo list that Physics for the Grammar Stage would be fine for a 5th-grader and that you could do the sciences in any order. The author did say doing chemistry first would make physics easier but that you could do physics first.