Menu

Anyone have a family member with Gilberts Syndrome?

Ds has Gilbert's Syndrome. It causes an excess of bilirubin to build up in the body of adults and results in adult jaundice. He isn't really affected by it much as Gilbert's is fairly asymptomatic, but I have an odd question.

Have you ever noticed that the person smells different when they have increased bilirubin? For some reason, I can smell a certain smell on ds and if I look at his eyes....sure enough, they are yellow.

Have you found anything that helps them to dissipate the bilirubin?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Ds has Gilbert's Syndrome. It causes an excess of bilirubin to build up in the body of adults. He isn't really affected by it much, but I have an odd question.

Have you ever noticed that the person smells different when they have increased bilirubin? For some reason, I can smell a certain smell on ds and if I look at his eyes....sure enough, they are yellow.

Have you found anything that helps them to dissipate the bilirubin?

My husband has it. Sometimes his eyes look a little yellowish, but I've never noticed a smell. He doesn't do anything for it. It's not a problem, just a lab anomaly.

My dh has Gilbert's. I can't say I've ever really noticed a smell (he is going to wonder why I'm sniffing him when he comes home :001_smile:), but the only thing that helps is for him to get some extra rest. It seems to "come on" for him when he is really run ragged.

My dh has it too, and no, I've never noticed a smell. I agree that plenty of rest is the biggest thing he can do to keep it under control.

Do make sure you read up on it. It does also cause an inability to metabolize some drugs which can lead to toxicity.

Edited by Keniki