Menu

The Core and learning disabilities...

If you've read The Core and have a child with learning disabilities, what did you think of the book?

So far I've learned that we label our kids to justify their weaknesses (not because we're seeking to teach them appropriately or because correct labels are preferable to the labels kids with LDs give to themselves), teachers in Jamaican schools don't cater to kids with learning disabilities, and temporary dyslexia can be cured by teaching cursive handwriting. I am so annoyed, but I want to finish the book because I signed my dyslexic daughter up for Classical Conversations this fall.

Aside from the LD cutdowns, I don't think the book is very well written. I am halfway through the book and I'm not sure what Leigh's working definition of classical education is. Irt history, she did say that she strongly disagrees that it should be taught chronologically and her family just reads whatever they're interested in. If that's the case, I wonder what the organizing principle is for CC history? I guess I have to keep reading so I can find out. :tongue_smilie:

About the only thing I liked that she said on the subject of learning disabilites was a reminder that if Annie Sullivan hadn't seen and worked so hard to help Helen Keller unlock her potential what might we have lost.

I pretty much ignored the rest of it. I know my kids have legit issues and I just took her remarks as fodder to make sure I was making them live up to their potential and challenging them.

I did like the book except for that. I think it's easy for some to call learning issues just bad labels if they haven't had to deal with it. I deal with it times 3.

(I could be wrong about the author's kids and learning disabilities but I don't recall if she's faced teaching a child with dyslexia or CAPD or autism)

Edited by pdalley
cause clarity counts

About the only thing I liked that she said on the subject of learning disabilites was a reminder that if Annie Sullivan hadn't seen and worked so hard to help Helen Keller unlock her potential what might we have lost.

I pretty much ignored the rest of it. I know my kids have legit issues and I just took her remarks as fodder to make sure I was making them live up to their potential and challenging them.

I did like the book except for that. I think it's easy for some to call learning issues just bad labels if they haven't had to deal with it. I deal with it times 3.

(I could be wrong about the author's kids and learning disabilities but I don't recall if she's faced teaching a child with dyslexia or CAPD or autism)

Based on what she said, I assumed she hasn't dealt with LDs, but I don't know for sure. I told my dh that she needs to use her classical education to learn about LDs before she tries writing about them. :tongue_smilie:

I am trying to ignore the comments, but then as I'm reading I come to another one and I get annoyed all over again. I will take one of these :chillpill: and finish the book. :001_smile:

Based on what she said, I assumed she hasn't dealt with LDs, but I don't know for sure. I told my dh that she needs to use her classical education to learn about LDs before she tries writing about them. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, it was my memory (and I just skimmed that book) that one of her son's actually had an LD-- although she didn't necessarily call it that but she said he had reading troubles, but with consistent work, and non-yielding focus (my interpretation) he was reading high-difficulty classics by high school (my total paraphrasing). I am remembering this was in the early part of the book.