Menu

The Perfect Homeschool Conference Would Have These Speakers

Ok, So, Come Summer 2012 I'd love a Homeschool Conference in the Portland/Salem, OR area.

I'd love to hear your "Perfect World" list of speakers :)

I have a list going, and am shifting through what my dream would be. Of course, then cost, time schedule, and all the other factors... happen.... and your list gets shorter :(

If there are people I want to hear... but wouldn't know about... put those people on, too. Of course, then I remembered that when you put something together, you don't get to hear the speakers... you're too busy running around.

Anyway, Who to dream of having??

And, how would the Conference be run?? How many days?? Etc...

:)

Sally Clarkson,definitely. Especially her view on curriculum choices. Sometimes I need "school" information, not just "how to be a good mom or a good Christian wife, etc." Sally on curriculum... I would fly in for that one.;)

I am in the Portland area too and would love to have SWB. However, I would also love to have Michael Clay Thompson and someone from CPO Science and the Jason Project. I want to hear about how to actually teach science and not just debate it. Stanley Schmidt from Life of Fred? Dr. Carol from Discovering Music? I know this is a pipe dream, but I would love to hear from various representatives from organizations like the science museum, our art museum, the Audubon Society, the zoo, the Thomas Condon Paleontology Center, the marine biology lab and anyone else that offers field trips and programs for public schools that would tell us how to get the best out of the facilities in our area. I would love to hear someone talk about the process of getting homeschoolers into colleges.

To be honest, I would want the emphasis on education and not on religion. I am more than happy to have Xtian vendors and speakers, but I still want the emphasis on education. I don't think I realized how tired I am of doing this whole dance virtually without live contact until I responded on the other thread about feeling unwanted as a homeschooler. I meant to be flip, but realized there was more truth than I wanted to acknowledge. I want to go to a conference and look real homeschoolers in the eye and talk about educating my kids and not have to wear a denim jumper. I want to hear intelligent speakers who behave with professional decorum. Okay. I also want to go out for margaritas afterwards.

I sound like my kids. "I want...I want...I want..."

On second thought, I probably am more of a "Come to my house, bring your books and 20 good homeschool friends," kind of gal.

Susan Wise Bauer and Andrew Pudewa.

:iagree: The top 2 on my list. Actually, I got to hear Andrew Pudewa at a local conference a couple of years ago. It was great.

In addition -maybe Steve Demme, and Terri Johnson of Knowledge Quest.

If you would want to help put one on in the PDX area, pm me with how serious you are, what you're wanting... (do you want Christian.... secular.... or...well... the "obligatory other" :)) Let me know if you think summer of 2012 would work for you... and if you've helped put anything like this together..... I have no doubt that I can spearhead it... but I know it takes a crew and not just one person :)

And OHEN will be putting on their conference in the Spring of 2012. Why not work with them?

I want a more classical feel; I actually like the people I've met from there.... (leadership wise) but I just don't think it's my niche.... But, neither is OCEAN, although I appreciate the leaders that I know there. It's just not a conference for a second generation hser in my opinion... or at least not for me. I may go check out curricula...

Hey Lisa,

I sent you a pm... Just to start... I wouldn't have Voddie Baucham again... But... that's just the start... :) Are you going in June? I may go check out curricula; if you are .... let me know... I would probably go just to meet you :)

Thanks, Carrie. I play with the idea of going, but from what I have heard from others, I am not sure I would feel very comfortable.:tongue_smilie:

I like SWB's idea of a house conference even if you can only Skype with a couple of speakers. Somehow, I think you might be able to generate more ideas and motivation for yourself with 15-20 homeschoolers gathered together than at a larger conference. On the rare occasions when I have gotten together with Nicole M., we bring all our books that we think the other might be interested in. It is so helpful to have fact to face interaction and to exchange ideas and materials.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.

Thanks, Carrie. I play with the idea of going, but from what I have heard from others, I am not sure I would feel very comfortable.:tongue_smilie:

I like SWB's idea of a house conference even if you can only Skype with a couple of speakers. Somehow, I think you might be able to generate more ideas and motivation for yourself with 15-20 homeschoolers gathered together than at a larger conference. On the rare occasions when I have gotten together with Nicole M., we bring all our books that we think the other might be interested in. It is so helpful to have fact to face interaction and to exchange ideas and materials.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.

Well, we can stick together :) I promise I'll take the bullets for ya!! And there might be some other WTMers that would come.... And... well... I don't think that OHEN would have much curriculum for me.... Although if anyone knows it would, let me know! And.... maybe Jim Weiss will be there.... That'd be happy :)

I'd bring my curriculum to a gathering, but I'm pretty basic right now... as I'm only hsing my 7 year old. I have Hebrew, Latin, Math (2nd grade!!), Handwriting Without Tears, and Memoria Press Bible and.... Famous Men of Series... (well... and then the many other books on my shelves..)

Oh, for fun he asks to listen to SOTW and Jim Weiss cds... does that count as school??