Menu

Sonlight Placement

freeindeed

I would  

1. 1. I would

• combine them for Core K.
    • combine them for Core 3+4
    • have 8yo do Core K & 10yo do Core 3+4.

I would have the 8 year old do Core K provided that all of his language arts/math were on his appropriate level. We just finished core K with my 6 year old ds (about to turn 7) and I think it really would be fine for an 8 year old. I'm glad they changed the name to Core A. The core is really the read alouds, history, science, and Bible and all of those are totally fine for an 8 year old. The read alouds cover some heavy topics: Nazis, homelessness, teasing, etc.. and I think with an older child you could go into a lot more depth talking about them. For science and history the topics themselves are fine...just add in some additional activity (say notebooking, narration, etc...) to make it more challenging for him academically.

If you went with 3/4 that would be he would do Core 5 at age 9 which I think would be a huge stretch.

Unless the 8-year-old is not reading on grade level, I would definitely combine them with 3+4. It should be easy to drop a book or two for the 8-year-old if you think it is too challenging or mature.

I can't imagine an 11-year-old doing Core K. Even for the 8-year-old, I don't think Core K would be enough. Why are these your only choices?

One concern I have is that, if I place my 8yo in Core 3+4, then he'll be doing Core 5 when he's only 9. Also, for the remaining cores, he'll end up being one year below the suggested "used by" ages. I just don't want to slight him.

ETA: I didn't really think Core K would be an option for my 10yo. I just wondered what others thought about it. :)

Edited by freeindeed

If it's a boy we're talking about, then I'd like to revise my answer :001_smile:. A beefed up Core K would probably be better in that case. My only concern would be appropriate readers. If you have plenty of challenging reading material already (and the time and patience for two cores) then Core K would probably be better in the long run.

One concern I have is that, if I place my 8yo in Core 3+4, then he'll be doing Core 5 when he's only 9. Also, for the remaining cores, he'll end up being one year below the suggested "used by" ages. I just don't want to slight him.

ETA: I didn't really think Core K would be an option for my 10yo. I just wondered what others thought about it. :)

Just because you do core 3+4 this year doesn't mean you HAVE to do core 5 next year. You could do something else for a year or two, or do another core besides 5. You could do core 5 and just not expect as much from your youngest, though I do think the material in core 5 was for a bit older student. Especially the read-alouds.

I am using Core 3+4 with my 8 and 11 year old sons. We started out with it last fall and after reading alot of reviews of it, I decided it would probably be too much for my 8 year old. So, I switched to another curriculum but decided after a few weeks to go back to SL. Then, I had a major surgery that set us back a few weeks. It ended up that getting just those couple of months of lost time behind us worked in my favor because when we got back into Core 3+4 my youngest son was very ready and he has been loving it every since. Both of my sons love it.

I would not do Core K with an 8 yo. I've always used SL, from PK on and I've only used Core K with 5 & 6 yo's. I supose, you could use it with an older child, but I'd want to add to it. Just my 2 cents. :)

I am doing Core 5 with my 4th and 5th grader. Itl depends on you, your preferences, your children, and what you are used to discussing as a family.