Menu

If you want to watch an LDS service, without going to an LDS chapel...

Our tradition is cinnamon rolls. That and I have a cross-stitch project I've been working on for years, pretty much only during Conference. Love it!

I have a conference cross-stitch to work on too! I used to stitch when I watched TV but we don't really watch anything anymore except for conference, so that's about the only time I pull it out. Maybe I'll finish it in the next decade or so. :001_smile:

Bedlamites.

If we were to not watch it when it airs, I don't know if we would motivate ourselves enough to watch it later as a point within the month, and that's one reason why we watch the whole thing all weekend. Plus excitement over wondering about ONE really important announcement. Someday....

Dd16 said that it used to seem to take so long to watch but that it doesn't now. I think part of it is because she sits and takes notes now instead of wondering when it's going to be over.

I find it very odd that no non-members have made any "yes, I watched 5 minutes" posts. Is it really that odd that no one else on the board watched?

Bedlamites.

If we were to not watch it when it airs, I don't know if we would motivate ourselves enough to watch it later as a point within the month, and that's one reason why we watch the whole thing all weekend. Plus excitement over wondering about ONE really important announcement. Someday....

Dd16 said that it used to seem to take so long to watch but that it doesn't now. I think part of it is because she sits and takes notes now instead of wondering when it's going to be over.

I find it very odd that no non-members have made any "yes, I watched 5 minutes" posts. Is it really that odd that no one else on the board watched?

Ever since I missed the announcement that they were going to rebuild the Nauvoo Temple, I've tried *never* to miss a session. It makes me jittery if I do, especially in this instant-media age where there are sure to be "spoilers" up on Twitter or Facebook almost instantly. :lol:

(and along those lines, wasn't Pres. Uctdorf's comment about people texting that he'd spoken for 10 minutes without mentioning airplanes a hoot?? :lol: )

And yes, I do believe we're just talking amongst ourselves here. Maybe if Ken Ham spoke there'd be some other non-LDS people in here. :tongue_smilie:

I have a conference cross-stitch to work on too! I used to stitch when I watched TV but we don't really watch anything anymore except for conference, so that's about the only time I pull it out. Maybe I'll finish it in the next decade or so. :001_smile:

LOL, I have a blanket that I work on sometimes during GC. It's a baby blanket that is about 1/4 finished that I started when I got pregnant my son (who is almost 8).

We always do monkey bread on Sunday morning.

Ever since I missed the announcement that they were going to rebuild the Nauvoo Temple, I've tried *never* to miss a session.

Oooooh...this is perhaps one of my most favorite-ever Conference memories! Dh and I had just made the decision to stay in Iowa after law school and one of our concerns was that we were so far from a temple. Well, sitting in the chapel, watching conference when President Hinckley made that announcement was the most amazing moment! That would become OUR temple...only two hours away. The congregation shouted for joy, most of us with tears in our eyes and I still get goosebumps just thinking about it!

By the way...I've enjoyed this little conversation with you ladies! We ought to keep doing this--the little LDS Beehive moves so slowly that I forget to check it most of the time!

No, I totally missed that! :lol:

I must've been stitching at the time. Which session was that?

At the very end of the Sunday afternoon session, after the closing prayer. You can tell by watching that he planned it. The posters are hysterical though and he has his 15 minutes of fame (or dorkhood as the case may be).

I loved Elder Holland's talk about Conference speakers as angels testifying and Elder Bednar's whole talk but especially his analogy about light.

At the very end of the Sunday afternoon session, after the closing prayer. You can tell by watching that he planned it. The posters are hysterical though and he has his 15 minutes of fame (or dorkhood as the case may be).

I loved Elder Holland's talk about Conference speakers as angels testifying and Elder Bednar's whole talk but especially his analogy about light.

Oh they probably edited him out then, if it was after the closing prayer. I guess I won't get to see him after all. Probably just as well...lol...

Thanks, though. :)

...snip...

I don't think it's that odd. Even if someone watched they might feel a bit shy about commenting about it online. Especially if the only people on the thread are LDS people, and they're making comments about little snippets that might not have been in the 5 minutes that someone watched, so they don't have anything to say about it, or might not know quite how to edge their two cents worth into the conversation.

For the record, though, if someone non-LDS out there did take Xuzi up on her invitation and watch part of the conference, I would love to hear what you thought, and if you have any questions about what you heard. I know sometimes when we LDS speak to LDS audiences we can tend to sometimes use expressions and references that might be confusing to someone unfamiliar with LDS belief and practice. I know I heard a couple of partial quotes from hymns fly by, and thought that if I were not LDS and familiar with those hymns those would have seemed like a really odd turn of phrase to use at that point in the talk. I would love the opportunity to offer an explanation to anything that might have been confusing to an outside observer. :)

Oooooh...this is perhaps one of my most favorite-ever Conference memories! Dh and I had just made the decision to stay in Iowa after law school and one of our concerns was that we were so far from a temple. Well, sitting in the chapel, watching conference when President Hinckley made that announcement was the most amazing moment! That would become OUR temple...only two hours away. The congregation shouted for joy, most of us with tears in our eyes and I still get goosebumps just thinking about it!

By the way...I've enjoyed this little conversation with you ladies! We ought to keep doing this--the little LDS Beehive moves so slowly that I forget to check it most of the time!

Meeee toooooo. This has been fun.

We were in the Nauvoo stake when that was announced, and it was sooo exciting. We moved away just before the temple was completed, and it was so cool to have walked around the ruins of the old temple and then to see the new temple as part of the city-scape. I still get teary-eyed when I think of that talk Pres Hinckley gave about the walk down Parley Street.

This has been a fun thread! And no character limits :D