Menu

How to lost saxon on transcript

I don't use Saxon, but can't you just use the name of the book? Doesn't it cover Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Advance Math, and Calculus? I would simply use those names. IF you are worried about the name, Geometry, not being included then perhaps you could put an asterisk (*) beside those courses which included it and at the bottom of the transcript put * Includes Geometry or something like that. That's my guess, but as I said I used different books.

Jean, below are the course titles and course descriptions that we used to award 4 high school credits for Saxon's Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Advanced Mathematics.

Algebra I with Geometry

This course covers topics typically treated in a first-year algebra course, as well as an introduction to geometry, including: arithmetic and evaluation of expressions involving signed numbers, exponents, and roots; properties of real numbers; absolute value; equations and inequalities involving absolute value; scientific notation; unit conversions; solution of equations in one unknown; solution of simultaneous equations; the algebra of polynomials and rational expressions; word problems such as uniform motion and coin problems; graphical solutions of simultaneous equations; graphs of a variety of functions (linear, quadratic, cubic, square root, absolute value etc.); translations and reflections of graphs; factoring; Pythagorean theorum; algebraic proofs; functional notation and functions; solution of quadratic equations by factoring, completing the square and the quadratic formula; direct and inverse variation; exponential growth; computation of perimeter and area of two-dimensional regions; computation of surface area an volume of a wide variety of geometric solids; statistics and probability. Text used: Algebra I, An Incremental Development, 3rd Edition, by John Saxon

Algebra II with Geometry

This course includes topics traditionally covered in second-year algebra, as well as a considerable amount of geometry. Upon the completion of this course, the student has covered the equivalent of one semester of informal geometry. Applications to other subjects such as physics and chemistry, as well as real-world problems are covered, including gas law, force vector, chemical mixtures, and percent markups. Set theory, probability and statistics are also included. Other topics reviewed or introduced include: graphical solutions of simultaneous equations; scientific notation; radicals; roots of quadratic equations including complex roots; properties of real numbers; factoring; inequalities and systems of inequalities; logarithms and antilogarithms; conic sections; exponential equations; basic trigonometric functions; algebra of polynomials; vectors in polar and rectangular form; algebraic word problems. Text used: Algebra 2, An Incremental Development, 2nd Edition, by John Saxon

Pre-Calculus I (Geometry, Trigonometry and Algebra 3)

This course is the first of a two-year study that integrates topics from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, discrete mathematics, and mathematical analysis. A rigorous treatment of Euclidean geometry is also presented. Upon completion of this course (third in a series) the student has completed the equivalent of a full year’s study of high school geometry. Word problems are developed throughout the course, becoming progressively more elaborate, including rate and work problems involving abstract quantities. Contents include: a concentrated study of the geometric proof; permutations; inverse trigonometric functions; conic sections; graphs of sinusoids; rectangular and polar representation of complex numbers; matrices and determinants. Text used: Advanced Math, an Incremental Development, 2nd Edition,by John Saxon

Pre-Calculus II (Trigonometry and Algebra 4)

This course is the culmination of a two-year study that integrates algebra, trigonometry, discrete mathematics, and mathematical analysis. Contents review or introduce such topics as permutations and combinations; trigonometric identities; inverse trigonometric functions; conic sections; graphs of sinusoids; rectangular and polar representation of complex numbers; De Moivre’s theorum; matrices and determinants; the binomial theorem. Text used: Advanced Math, an Incremental Development, 2nd Edition,by John Saxon