Menu

Getting Things Done by David Allen. How have you implemented this as a mom?

I've read this book and it is very helpful. My dh and I use it mainly for project planning, but also to help us figure out why we're stalled on something.

I like the story about the man who needed to buy tires. Why didn't he just go to the tired store? Well he needed to figure out what tires to buy. Well how was he going to do that? Well he needed to talk to his BIL who knows tires. Well why didn't he call his BIL? He needed to call his sister to get the BILs cellphone number. So step one of buy tires was for the man to call his sister.

We don't do everything he suggested, but there were lots of helpful tips in the book. I should re-read it.

I read it last year and played around with the ideas a fair bit. I made up my own daily worksheet (or was it weekly? cant remember).

I got my filing system better organised.

The best thing was the tickler file- that was really useful for a while there while I was still homeschooling. Now that i have stopped homeschooling I just cant justify it- my life isn't that busy and complicated- but I wish I had used it for longer because it was really useful and it is still set up at the front of my filing cabinet. . (I think I am thinking of GTD. I know I read it but I read a lot of books, including organisational books!).

In the end I have found a system that works for me right now- but I have gleaned many ideas from GTD and other books like it, so while on one level my system seems simple- it has evolved from many, many more complicated ones.