Menu

Oh, dear science, how you trouble me...

Nakia

I am firmly set on BJU science 6 for my oldest for next year, and in fact, I have purchased the entire curriculum. I am really looking forward to it. I have now also purchased MPH 3/4 for my rising 3rd grader. Up until now, we have done science together, and that has been very nice. I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot by separating them next year. I, of course, don't think I can do BJU 6 with my 3rd grader, but I am wondering if it would make things easier to take the information that my 6th grader is using and find age appropriate materials for my 3rd grader. I also have the BJU science 2 that someone here gave me that I could pick and choose from. I could also pick and choose topics from MPH that coincide with what my oldest is doing (I don't really even know if that is doable). This is causing me a lot of stress. I honestly don't think I will be able to spend 2-3 hours on science every day, between the two of them. I am adding a kindergartner next year, and I know K doesn't take much time, but this little one is INTENSE, and I will lucky to keep her occupied, lol. Any thoughts?

I would do one of them with DVD's or online for BJU. You can now purchase 1 class w/o books (since you already have the materials). I love to combine whenever possible and try to tweak curriculum, but I think in this case you would be better off to do them separately. It is MUCH easier to combine for history than it is to combine for science with the materials that you already have.

Blessings,

Brenda

I honestly don't think I will be able to spend 2-3 hours on science every day, between the two of them.

You are amazing!! I wouldn't be able to spend 1- 1 1/2 hours per day on science with my 3rd and 6th grader. When science starts taking that long they can do it on their own and I'll spend 20 min. discussing it, tyvm. :001_smile:

This year my 3rd and 5th grader are doing the same science. We started off together but then I split them up after Christmas. It takes 15-20 min. per day, tops.

Good luck finding a solution! :001_smile:

You are amazing!! I wouldn't be able to spend 1- 1 1/2 hours per day on science with my 3rd and 6th grader. When science starts taking that long they can do it on their own and I'll spend 20 min. discussing it, tyvm. :001_smile:

This year my 3rd and 5th grader are doing the same science. We started off together but then I split them up after Christmas. It takes 15-20 min. per day, tops.

Good luck finding a solution! :001_smile:

Haha! I'm not amazing. I do think an hour or so per lesson will be the norm for my oldest next year and maybe half hour for my 3rd grader. What science do you use that takes only 15-20 minutes per day and what are your plans for next year?

Nakia,

I have been doing 2 levels of BJU science the last two year and now BJU 6 along with Secular Physical Science. I DO spend at least 2 hours/day on science. I agree that you would need to do at least 1-1 /2 hrs in order to make it through what you have, although not every day. If you aren't up for that, you might want to find something that will combine better. I think finding things to make your youngest work with your BJU 6 would take as much time as just doing something else though...

I'm not sure I helped.:confused:

Nakia,

I have been doing 2 levels of BJU science the last two year and now BJU 6 along with Secular Physical Science. I DO spend at least 2 hours/day on science. I agree that you would need to do at least 1-1 /2 hrs in order to make it through what you have, although not every day. If you aren't up for that, you might want to find something that will combine better. I think finding things to make your youngest work with your BJU 6 would take as much time as just doing something else though...

I'm not sure I helped.:confused:

Very helpful! Thanks! I think I'm just going to keep them separate. It will be fine. The part I bolded is spot on. I think the time and energy it would take to try and "fit" my middle in with her sister would make me nuts. So I'll just plan to keep them separate.