Menu

Anyone who has started your Kindergarten students with RightStart Mathematics

talk2ham.1

My son is 4 years old and we have been using K level Saxon Math this past year informally. It was really just to keep him busy since he loves solving problems and using the manipulatives. He's caught on fairly quickly and has a good foundation, but I am already bored with the program. I like the classic approach that RightStart seems to employ by using a simple version of the time honored abacus as a tool. Plus, I've already been impressed that some of the things my son has not been able to understand up until now with quantities will be made more clear once he can visualize them sensibly in patterns.

So I am planning make the switch from Saxon to RightStart level B for my son this coming school year. But I'm a little overwhelmed by the large number of manipulatives that are needed for the course. I'm wondering if I really need all of them. I have lots of manipulatives already from doing Saxon Kindergarten this year. Do you think that I really have to have all the items RightStart suggests too? Or could I improvise with other things that I already have around the house?

For example:

Colored tiles: I have some colored tiles . . . do I really need their set of 200, or will a couple dozen do the trick?

Geared clock: I have a learning clock that is not geared. Can my children learn without the gears?

Geometry reflector: wouldn't a mirror work?

Wooden Cubes: I have lots of linking cubes. Do I really need these particular wooden cubes? Couldn't I just adjust the requirements in the book to match the manipulative I already have here?

Geoboards: I have 5x5 geoboard. Do I need to use their 7 x 7 or could I make up my own activities to match the 5 x 5 in this grade level to begin with?

Basic Drawing Board Geometry Set: Will he need the safety compass in that set right away, because I already have everything else? Maybe I can find a safety compass at Staples or something. I hate to get a brand new complete set when I only need one piece.

Fraction Chart: Surely there is a place to download this for free. Does anyone know of such a place? If so, can laminate them myself.

AL Abacus: I think I can easily build one out of wood for less money. We have the tools to make one out of wood and paint the beads. I plan to make my own Place Value Cards too. And I can get popsicle sticks for the tally sticks anywhere.

Math Card Games: to get the instructional book and the cards is $50!!! Good grief! I can see the 6 sets of cards as being worth $25, but the book is another $25 on top of that! Do I really need the game book at this age? Can I get that later?

Other than that, I will need the textbooks and CD (which I plan to get second hand if possible), the Math Balance (maybe, but maybe it won't be necessary), the Abacus Tiles and the Base Ten Picture cards. All of a sudden the price list doesn't look so devastating.

What do you think?

I forget what it was, but there was an activity that did use all 200 of the tiles, and several more that used more than just a couple dozen of tiles.

Part of the reason to use a geared clock, is so that the child can see how far the hour hand moves as you move the minute hand around the clock once.

The geoboards come in a set of 2. There are many times when you need both geoboards. You might be able to get away with the one you have for A, but by B you need two, and there wouldn't be room on the smaller geoboard to build some of the patterns in B.

The wooden cubes are not used until well into B, and they could probably be easily substituted.

I have the fraction chart, but can't comment because we haven't got to it yet in B.

I have to admit I haven't used the geometry reflector as much as I have just grabbed a mirror.

The drawing set isn't needed in A or B. I got the kits for A and B, and it wasn't included. I don't think it's used until C.

The place value cards are used a LOT in A and B, so if you plan to make your own, they need to hold up and be easy to use. The ones included in the kit are a durable plastic.

All of the games used in A and B have the directions in the text, so as long as you get the cards for the games, you shouldn't need the game book right now.

There are some activities using the math balance that I'm not sure how you could do without it, because it gives a visual of how the weights have to move if you change one of them to a smaller or larger number. (Although I have to admit I've been tempted to skip those exercises sometimes, but that's mostly because I don't have a place to leave the math balance set up, so I have to take it out and put it in the box every time we use it.)

Edited by Ellyndria

I'll give this a shot since I am about 70% through Right Start A with my young K'er.

First, I might suggest starting with Right Start Level A, especially since you do have a young student. When does he turn 5? The counter argument is that everything in RS A is covered again in level B, but I just don't see the harm in starting with A given that your son is only 4. I don't think it could hurt to let his maturity, writing skills, etc. catch up a little bit.

I personally think you could (for Level A) skip the geoboard, reflector, the wooden shapes, drawing set, and card games book. I would recommend pretty much everything else: the abacus, the place value cards, the game cards, the tiles (you do sometimes use all of them), the tally sticks, and the clock. Go ahead and get the RS abacus - it's well made and really not that expensive, and you'll use it a LOT. Same with the other manipulatives I listed.

RS really is a great program, and now that we've further into Level A, I can truly appreciate how it's all coming together. My daughter is getting some true math understanding and confidence.

I forget what it was, but there was an activity that did use all 200 of the tiles, and several more that used more than just a couple dozen of tiles.

Part of the reason to use a geared clock, is so that the child can see how far the hour hand moves as you move the minute hand around the clock once.

The geoboards come in a set of 2. There are many times when you need both geoboards. You might be able to get away with the one you have for A, but by B you need two, and there wouldn't be room on the smaller geoboard to build some of the patterns in B.

The wooden cubes are not used until well into B, and they could probably be easily substituted.

I have the fraction chart, but can't comment because we haven't got to it yet in B.

I have to admit I haven't used the geometry reflector as much as I have just grabbed a mirror.

The drawing set isn't needed in A or B. I got the kits for A and B, and it wasn't included. I don't think it's used until C.

The place value cards are used a LOT in A and B, so if you plan to make your own, they need to hold up and be easy to use. The ones included in the kit are a durable plastic.

All of the games used in A and B have the directions in the text, so as long as you get the cards for the games, you shouldn't need the game book right now.

There are some activities using the math balance that I'm not sure how you could do without it, because it gives a visual of how the weights have to move if you change one of them to a smaller or larger number. (Although I have to admit I've been tempted to skip those exercises sometimes, but that's mostly because I don't have a place to leave the math balance set up, so I have to take it out and put it in the box every time we use it.)

So all the manipulatives are really valuable, then? Well, that's good to know now instead of later before I frustrate myself trying to substitute other things.

Also, it's good to know that the drawing board isn't necessary. It was listed as a Level B item, but I couldn't imagine a 5 year old using protractors and a compass just yet. :)

The list did say that the Math balance was optional . . . so maybe it's o.k. to skip those lessons. Though, I may get it anyway since I'll have two kids of different ages learning the same things; so the more hands on, the better.

I'll give this a shot since I am about 70% through Right Start A with my young K'er.

First, I might suggest starting with Right Start Level A, especially since you do have a young student. When does he turn 5? The counter argument is that everything in RS A is covered again in level B, but I just don't see the harm in starting with A given that your son is only 4. I don't think it could hurt to let his maturity, writing skills, etc. catch up a little bit.

I personally think you could (for Level A) skip the geoboard, reflector, the wooden shapes, drawing set, and card games book. I would recommend pretty much everything else: the abacus, the place value cards, the game cards, the tiles (you do sometimes use all of them), the tally sticks, and the clock. Go ahead and get the RS abacus - it's well made and really not that expensive, and you'll use it a LOT. Same with the other manipulatives I listed.

RS really is a great program, and now that we've further into Level A, I can truly appreciate how it's all coming together. My daughter is getting some true math understanding and confidence.

Thanks for that input! I was wondering about that. He turns 5 in June and I would not be starting until this coming school year. I did the little RightStart quiz to see about where I should level him, and it kept telling me to put him in level B since he could already count and solve simple math problems. But his reading is still in the beginning stages. He recognizes all the letters and usually gets the individual sounds right, but he is only just beginning blends and has yet to recognize even one sight word, so I don't think he is anywhere close to really "reading" at this point.

My 3 year old will be 4 by the time I get this program underway. Maybe if I start with Level A, they can both be at least occupied in the same level simultaneously (though I certainly won't have too many expectations for the younger one till he is older). Putting two in one level, if it works, could really help me out with my sanity, since I'll still be chasing my littlest one around too. That way I can pace the purchases and have a little more mercy on the budget.

Do you recommend going with the Classic or Standard Abacus? If I get two of the standard ones (one for each boy), are they going to hold up to a couple very active and curious little boys? If they get left out and my 4 year old has two minutes of unsupervised activity, he will try to take it apart to see how those beads got on there to start with. I can just see it now! :tongue_smilie:

Rainbow Resource has a lot of the manipulatives much cheaper. For example, the abacus is $20 at RightStart and $10 at Rainbow Resource. Big difference. They're the exact same AL Abacus (I have the RS A kit which came with one plus I bought an extra one from RR). The one that comes with the kits is great. It's plastic, but it holds up well. My toddler has played with it a lot, and it's in great shape. :)

If your child has completed Saxon K, I'd go ahead with RS B. I think RS A would be boring after Saxon K (I find RS A boring as it is though, so I'm probably no help :lol:).

[quote name=r He turns 5 in June and I would not be starting until this coming school year. I did the little RightStart quiz to see about where I should level him' date=' and it kept telling me to put him in level B since he could already count and solve simple math problems. But his reading is still in the beginning stages. He recognizes all the letters and usually gets the individual sounds right, but he is only just beginning blends and has yet to recognize even one sight word, so I don't think he is anywhere close to really "reading" at this point.

My 3 year old will be 4 by the time I get this program underway. Maybe if I start with Level A, they can both be at least occupied in the same level simultaneously (though I certainly won't have too many expectations for the younger one till he is older). Putting two in one level, if it works, could really help me out with my sanity, since I'll still be chasing my littlest one around too. That way I can pace the purchases and have a little more mercy on the budget.

Do you recommend going with the Classic or Standard Abacus? If I get two of the standard ones (one for each boy), are they going to hold up to a couple very active and curious little boys? If they get left out and my 4 year old has two minutes of unsupervised activity, he will try to take it apart to see how those beads got on there to start with. I can just see it now! :tongue_smilie:

Our plastic abacus is very well made and stood up to a five year old, three year old, and some co-op use.

I asked the RS people the same question - I too have a very active little boy - and they advised me to get the plastic abacus.

If you can swing two identical abacus, do so - your boys will appreciate it, and there are a couple lessons where it's nice to have two of them.

I still stand by my recommendation to start with Level A. I think your idea of combining them is good, even if you end up completely repeating Level A with your younger one. Good luck!

I am only on lesson 8 in level A with my 4 year old and he is a very "mathy" boy you might say. He loves RS math and he really understands the lessons well. that being said, given you have a 4 year old, I would definitely do A first. I have seen some posts on here as well where people have gotten fed up with RS and they are doing a lesson a day. Even with a kid who loves math...we do only 1-2 lessons per week. The lessons cover a lot and we like to spend time practicing concepts and doing the math games too. My son enjoys showing off what he knows and the only way to have time to allow him to do this is to only do 1-2 lessons per week.

I have the Deluxe Starter kit and am happy with my purchse. I love knowing that I will not be surprised and not have someting I need to teach a lesson and even though the lessons have not used certain manipulative yet, my son loves exploring them. I just make sure he is supervised when he gets time with them so he doesn't misplace one or mess it up.

Rainbow Resource has a lot of the manipulatives much cheaper. For example, the abacus is $20 at RightStart and $10 at Rainbow Resource. Big difference. They're the exact same AL Abacus (I have the RS A kit which came with one plus I bought an extra one from RR). The one that comes with the kits is great. It's plastic, but it holds up well. My toddler has played with it a lot, and it's in great shape. :)

If your child has completed Saxon K, I'd go ahead with RS B. I think RS A would be boring after Saxon K (I find RS A boring as it is though, so I'm probably no help :lol:).

Thank you for the suggestion of going through Rainbow Resource. The prices are better there!

All of these suggestions you guys are giving are great, thanks for the input!

I think I will start with RS A since I plan to use it with DS#2 regardless, and I can start with it for DS#1 right now, but evaluate the progress and either speed through it or go ahead and get Level B if I think he's just too far along for A. It won't be a waste either way.