Menu

What are some reason for not liking CLE science or SS?

brewer13399

I am interested in why so many people don't like CLEs SS or science. I havent had a chance to look at it yet but I was thinking I love the idea of everything being the same company....this year I choose and picked everything and I dont want to do that next year since I am adding our twins to the mix of homeschooling. I am looking at apologia and a few others but just not sure yet.

I used CLE SS and Science at the 200 level as an exercise in reading comprehension. DS enjoyed the LU's in that capacity (he's a workbook lover and prefers to read non-fiction). They aren't meaty or hands on but he did enjoy the information. He really liked the science LU on birds and the SS LU on maps (I don't remember which numbers those were).

We use SOTW for history and WTM-inspired studies for science (for the richer learning experience), but the LU's were nice for independent reading comprehension in non-fiction subject areas.

I ordered 301 in every subject, planning to just use CLE... BUT.. the science and SS looked REALLY boring. I have decided to only use LA, reading and math now from CLE.

I'm very impressed with the look of the Apologia books, and my DD saw 2 of them that SIL had today and she loved them too. I think she'd hate the LU because it "looks boring".

I haven't used them, and while CLE is working great for us for math and LA, I don't want to sit at the table all day with workbooks.

Next year i'm strongly looking at MFW so I can make it easier by combining my kids, and I can sub in CLE for the math and language requirements.

Next year i'm strongly looking at MFW so I can make it easier by combining my kids, and I can sub in CLE for the math and language requirements.

That's another point I forgot. I combine the kids for science and history and I couldn't really do that with CLE's materials.

I bought Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry for next year. I grabbed the Pre-level (K-3) thinking I would just add extra reading and some writing for DS9. It looks pretty good for what I want (combining DS9 with DD5). If it goes well, I will probably get their Biology and Physics for the same purpose. If not, I'll be shopping around again.