Menu

JAG with 3rd grader - pause, slow down, or supplement?

jtcarter14

I got Junior Analytical Grammar for my 3rd and 4th grader this January with plans to finish in May. My 3rd grade dd is (I thought) advanced in language arts, and my 4th grade ds was behind. Ds has quickly caught up, so even though he's more of a math/science guy, I think his age allowed him to "get" JAG. I don't see a problem with him finishing in May. DD, my perfectionist, is struggling with it. It may be her age.

So, what should I do? I like Growing with Grammar. I thought about ordering that and letting her do that until she's ready to finish JAG, but I really don't want to order yet another piece of curricula so late in the year. Is there any kind of free online practice or anything like that?

I don't know if I could stand to just pause it completely and not do any grammar for the rest of the year...

Or is there a way to just go really slow with JAG? I guess I could just have her do it once or twice a week or something??

[Totally unrelated question (not sure who else to ask)... What's the best time of year to sell curricula? I have some SOS to sell.]

Thanks!

Edited by jtcarter14

I would really prefer to have something that has answers. I could figure them out, but it would take a lot more time. I would also second guess myself, especially if she had questions. Even with JAG, I always refer to the teacher/answer book when my kids have questions.

My vote would be pause or slow down:

You know your child best. If you think developmentally these concepts are still too abstract set it aside and start over next year.

If you think she just needs more practice then I wouldn't do less grammar, just more of the same. I would still prefer to do grammar 5 days a week but just spend 2 weeks on every lesson creating more review pages for her to do before the test.

Take the JAG lesson and have her do Exercise 1. Then you create a second exercise(1B) using their exact sentences as your models. Create a 1C if she still needs more review.

Here is what I mean, using Adverbs: Exercise 3 in the student book as my example.

1. The new student peeked nervously in the classroom door.

Now create a new sentence for the 1B worksheet with the EXACT same structure.

1B. The young puppy chewed noisily on the new bone.

Proceed likewise through the whole sheet. Then you won't need an answer key b/c 1 and 1B will be diagrammed exactly the same.

Also, ask Erin or Robin over at AG for their advice. They are really willing to help when you get stuck. Erin may even pop in on this thread . :)

Hope this helps!

ETA: The reason I suggested this option is that I wouldn't spend more money on a new program if you like JAG and it worked well for your older son. JAG introduces things a bit uniquely and switching to a whole new curriculum may set her back. Again, you know your child best and if JAG flat out isn't working and you don't think it is a developmental issue then of course look elsewhere. Just trying to save you some money! :)

Edited by Jennefer@SSA

Well personally I'd just do Mad Libs and come contextualized grammar with her (love, love, love WT2, which might be great for her for next year) and not worry about it. Come back to JAG when she's a bit older. You could even wait till 5th with no harm done. There's just no need to beat this 40 ways. Light touch, light touch. You know you're doing JAG with her eventually and that it will be what she needs when she gets there. Mad Libs and contextualized use (looking for it in the models in WT2, etc.) will be plenty until then. We really enjoy grammar in house, but it's because we don't ram in down our throats like some kind of horse pill. Several times I've done a Shurley level over 2 years, doing lots of contextualized grammar in-between. With JAG, you don't even need to do that. I'd just wait till she's ready. She was too young. If she retains the definitions and then does some Mad Libs and whatnot to hold them, that would be enough for a while.

Have you done any editing? Personally, I think this is a great age to start daily editing. We did the Take 5 Minutes History Fact a Day editing, very enjoyable.

By contextualized grammar I just mean using the grammar in a context. WT2=Writing Tales 2. Sorta like CW, only *way* more fun. :)

In WT2 they go through all the parts of speech, all your basic grammar, but they do it in the context of analyzing writing. 2nd semester they apply the grammar to improve the writing. It's just a terrific method, very gentle, never isolated or abstract. She includes lots of fun little games and things. Highly recommend.

It sounds & looks really good, but we're already doing Daily Paragraph Editing and Writing Strands. I will keep WT2 in mind for the future. Thanks!

I think she may need more instruction on diagramming. Or like I said, maybe we should just wait. Jennefer's idea may work, but if she's confused by how diagramming works, I think that would be what we need to do when we pick JAG back up after either just time or getting some further (or more simple) diagramming instruction.

Thanks!!

Edited by jtcarter14

With my dd, who isn't a grammar natural, I keep it fun and do it together. Shurley typically has 3-5 sentences in an exercise, so we just pick one to diagram. We do it on the whiteboard together. When I started with her, *I* would do the diagramming and demonstrate. It would just be this little game (Shurley doesn't specify diagramming): "Hmmm, I wonder if we could diagram this!" I did them each time, till finally she started grabbing the marker from me. So sometimes it's that the program is lumping lots of types or making it really hard. Just do *1* a day, and only do one type at a time.

But truly, at that age my dd gave me a lot of blank looks too. She's just not a natural with grammar. It's ok to wait and see if it clicks later.