Menu

Science Kits

KristenR

I had some people asking me about the science kits I made for my girls. I finally got around to posting about it and wanted to let those know who expressed interest know it was up. Unfortunately I can't remember everyone who asked. So here it is for those interested.... If anyone has ideas I can add to it, please share!!

Science Kits

I had some people asking me about the science kits I made for my girls. I finally got around to posting about it and wanted to let those know who expressed interest know it was up. Unfortunately I can't remember everyone who asked. So here it is for those interested.... If anyone has ideas I can add to it, please share!!

Science Kits

I know this is a total tangent but... I see you have a Lyra too! We never see anyone else with that name! We pronounce our Lyra (just turned 12 months this week) like the word "lyrical"- Lyr-Ah. Dh's relatives are always calling her Lie-Ruh which drives me nuts. How did you hear of the name? We saw it on a Ukranian Adoption Blog that I follow & fell in love with it.

I know this is a total tangent but... I see you have a Lyra too! We never see anyone else with that name! We pronounce our Lyra (just turned 12 months this week) like the word "lyrical"- Lyr-Ah. Dh's relatives are always calling her Lie-Ruh which drives me nuts. How did you hear of the name? We saw it on a Ukranian Adoption Blog that I follow & fell in love with it.

Wow, how funny to get this post from you. My sister literally just sent me this link.

Anyway, my dh chose the name of all three of my daughters. He is an amateur astronomer so they all have astronomical meaning. Mira is a variable star in the constellation Cetus (the sea monster or whale depending on your sky chart).

Stella is Latin for star. And we named Lyra after the constellation Lyra which is Latin for the Greek lyre. We pronounce it Lie-rah in the astronomical fashion. But I have heard it pronounced your way as well. I think both beautifully different but I was pleased with the "Lie-rah" version since we already have a Mira (Meer-a) and I didn't want a Mira and "Leer-a".

As it is we get Leer-ah for Lyra and My-ra for Mira. :tongue_smilie:

Truthfully, sometimes I still get confused!

Oh- and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your beautiful LYRA!!!

My Lyra turns 1 in the end of May.

Wow, how funny to get this post from you. My sister literally just sent me this link.

Anyway, my dh chose the name of all three of my daughters. He is an amateur astronomer so they all have astronomical meaning. Mira is a variable star in the constellation Cetus (the sea monster or whale depending on your sky chart).

Stella is Latin for star. And we named Lyra after the constellation Lyra which is Latin for the Greek lyre. We pronounce it Lie-rah in the astronomical fashion. But I have heard it pronounced your way as well. I think both beautifully different but I was pleased with the "Lie-rah" version since we already have a Mira (Meer-a) and I didn't want a Mira and "Leer-a".

As it is we get Leer-ah for Lyra and My-ra for Mira. :tongue_smilie:

Truthfully, sometimes I still get confused!

Here's another link for the name Lyra :).

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Lyra.html

I don't have a Lyra. I don't even have a daughter (yet ;)) but I am Greek so I thought I would jump in. Lyra is of Greek origin and both you ladies are correct, it is pronounced "Leer-a"

Enjoy your sweet girls :)

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the info.

When I first saw the word Lyra I pictured it was Leer-ah as in lyrical. But most places I've look, including your link, show pronunciation on the name Lyra as "Lye-ruh".

Is lyre pronounced with the 'leer' sound versus the 'lie' one in Greek?

I know the constellation's mythology behind it is the instrument but was wondering if it is pronounced Lye-er where did "lyrics" and "lyrical" come from?

I know there isn't a right or wrong way for a girls name-It's whatever the parents want it to be. Both names are uniquely beautiful so I hope this isn't coming across the wrong way.

In fact I had originally assumed - because of words like lyric and lyrical that Lyra was pronounced Leer-ra and it was only in astronomical circles that it was pronounced with the long i sound.

Since my family is going for the astronomical theme I'm fine with that. :)

That was a fun sidetrack! I recently saw a list of the 100 Top Up & Coming Baby names- names that aren't popular now but they expect will be popular in the next 10-30 years and Lyra was on the list.

I always really liked how Lyra sounds a bit like the word "lyrical" and I think it goes well with our last name (Jewell). Anyway- so fun to see another Lyra.

Your Science Kits look wonderful! Science & nature studies are the thing I struggle with the most & would really like to improve upon.

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the info.

When I first saw the word Lyra I pictured it was Leer-ah as in lyrical. But most places I've look, including your link, show pronunciation on the name Lyra as "Lye-ruh".

Is lyre pronounced with the 'leer' sound versus the 'lie' one in Greek?

I know the constellation's mythology behind it is the instrument but was wondering if it is pronounced Lye-er where did "lyrics" and "lyrical" come from?

I know there isn't a right or wrong way for a girls name-It's whatever the parents want it to be. Both names are uniquely beautiful so I hope this isn't coming across the wrong way.

In fact I had originally assumed - because of words like lyric and lyrical that Lyra was pronounced Leer-ra and it was only in astronomical circles that it was pronounced with the long i sound.

Since my family is going for the astronomical theme I'm fine with that. :)

Hello again.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the link I posted (the pronunciation in it) is incorrect based on the Greek pronunciation. The correct pronunciation is what Kelly said "Leer-ra", actually split into syllables like this Le-ra (the open syllable sounding like a long e). Lyrical is correct. The Greek Lyrical Poetry was named that because it was accompanied by a Lyre. I didn't realize until after your last post that you had been saying Lie-rah. My mind got stuck on the Leer-ah and the end of your post :tongue_smilie:.

The actual Greek spelling is Λύρα, split like this Λύ-ρα. The letter is "Υυ".

The Greek letters: Ηη, Ιι and Υυ

are all pronounced with the long e sound unless they are combined with another vowel to make a diphthong (this was why I spelled it as Le-ra above).

To take it a step further and in case you wanted to know, the r sound does not sound like the English r. It sounds like the way it is pronounced in Spanish. I like the rolling sound of the r in Greek and Spanish but hey I am Greek by birth after all :D!

This is not coming across the wrong way at all. You the parents decide what you want the pronunciation to be. My son Adrian has a Greek version and English version, where pronunciation is concerned. The Greek version goes something like this: Adrianos. I won't even bother telling you how it is pronounced :tongue_smilie:. As for Malcolm we chose the Scottish spelling vs. the newer Malcom. I liked the original spelling better.

I hope this is a little clearer now :).

Edited by Guest

That was a fun sidetrack! I recently saw a list of the 100 Top Up & Coming Baby names- names that aren't popular now but they expect will be popular in the next 10-30 years and Lyra was on the list.

I always really liked how Lyra sounds a bit like the word "lyrical" and I think it goes well with our last name (Jewell). Anyway- so fun to see another Lyra.

Your Science Kits look wonderful! Science & nature studies are the thing I struggle with the most & would really like to improve upon.

I think the Lyra (like in lyrical) sounds nice with your last name also :) and I agree the kits do look fun :thumbup:. I'm going to have to put something together for my little guy soon also. I need to stop him from stealing big brothers stuff. Now I have somewhere to start for ideas.

Thank you Kristen for posting these. I should have said that before but I got carried away with the name ;).