Menu

Judge rules that orphan should stay in institution due to disability (CC at end)

My apologies if this is not appropriate. But as a parent of a child w/Down syndrome, I am saddened by this situation and hope that others can spread the word!

Note: Christian Content if you read the end and if you click on the blog post!

The Davis family has been fighting to adopt their son, a little boy named Kirill who has Down syndrome, in Russia. After getting documents, visiting him, holding him, loving him, and then returning home due to Russia's two-visit rule, they had to endure a long wait -- all adoptions from US parents in Russia went on hold for months after the situation last year in which a woman from Tennessee sent her adopted son back to Russia alone on a plane with a note pinned to his shirt.

Finally, the Davises were given a court date and returned this month to get their son. They had a five hour hearing, with many native folks petitioning on this family's behalf. At the end, the judge rejected their petition....saying they were a good family and met all the requirements but that she wouldn't allow him to be adopted because he has Down syndrome. He was better off in an institution. The judge said they could adopt another child, but not this one.

They are appealing to the Supreme Court there. There are other families almost ready to adopt other kids with Down syndrome from Kirill's region, too, whose lives are at stake.

Christian content: If you believe, please pray for this family!

To see Kirill and read more of his story, click on his family's blog:

http://oureyesopened.blogspot.com/

I can see both sides on this. The US has a good success rate (from what I understand) with families coping with Down's. However, I also see the Russian side where they see people that can't cope and adoptions with children who have disabilities (whether seen or unseen) have cracked and bad things have happened to the children. The judge may be concerned about the child's future safety. The couple are to be commended also for their willingness to parent a special needs child.

Praying for all parties.

So sad. Kids with Downs Syndrome can do so much with early intervention, and that just isn't going to happen in an institution. How anyone could think a child with Downs Syndrome would be better off in an institution than with one-on-one care is beyond me.

I can see both sides on this. The US has a good success rate (from what I understand) with families coping with Down's. However, I also see the Russian side where they see people that can't cope and adoptions with children who have disabilities (whether seen or unseen) have cracked and bad things have happened to the children. The judge may be concerned about the child's future safety. The couple are to be commended also for their willingness to parent a special needs child.

Praying for all parties.

So very well said.

Praying for all parties.

The judge was quoted as saying that the little boy was “socially unadaptable due to his medical needs.†I don't think her decision was based on concern for his well being. Unfortunately many people in Eastern Europe and Russia do not believe people with disabilities deserve every opportunity that non-disabled get. These children will be sent to mental institutions once they turn five. Having seen one before, it is NO place for anyone, let alone a defenseless child.

I have been praying that she change her mind, this boy deserves a family to love and care for him.