Menu

We're getting chicks!

It's spring and chicks are in the store! I found a home for the chicks after they grow up.

So, what do I need to know about chick raising?

We are planning on using a washtub in the garage with a heat lamp. What should I use for bedding? Do I just scatter the food in the bottom? How often do I need to clean it out? How fast do the little things grow???

Just sign me clueless and soon to be chick-mom!

We use wood chips for our chicks. We clean it every 3 to 4 days. it will get quite messy in a tub. The brooder we have allows the chips to fall through a little bit easier and then we just add more chips. We love having new chicks but warning they are a lot of work! It will get easier! Best wishes to you.

:001_smile:

It's spring and chicks are in the store! I found a home for the chicks after they grow up.

So, what do I need to know about chick raising?

We are planning on using a washtub in the garage with a heat lamp. What should I use for bedding? Do I just scatter the food in the bottom? How often do I need to clean it out? How fast do the little things grow???

Just sign me clueless and soon to be chick-mom!

:001_smile:

Oh, don't just scatter the food in the bottom. You will need to buy a food dish and be sure it is one they can't knock over because it will be something they will do often. They will perch on it and poo in it too. They love to perch on everything. They will also love to scratch their bedding in it and in their waters too. So it will help to put their water and food container on top of rocks or a brick. You won't need to do this when they are tiny chick but soon enough afterwards when they are a little bit bigger (pullet size).

What kind did you get and how many?

We got 6 chicks: two fluffy yellow ones, two orange ones with stripes, and two black ones. I have NO clue what they are!!

They came with a kit for suckers who agree to raise chicks and don't really know what they are doing. It has a plastic food and a separate water tower. I'll put them up on rocks, soon. The chick are only about 2 inches tall. What's a pullet???

We bought wood chips and chicken feed and a heat lamp. Currently, they are residing in my dd bedroom. I live in dread that I'll soon see one of our house cats with feathers in its mouth!!

I still can't believe that we are doing this!! How soon are they big enough to send off to the farm??

Chicks are super easy. We got our first round of chicks a few weeks ago. We clean out their little pen everyday, even though I've read you don't have to do it that often. The main thing when they're so little is to make sure they are the right temperature because chicks can't regulate their own body temperature. If they're all huddled together under the lamp, that means they're too cold. If they're trying to get as far away from the light as they can and are panting, that means they're too hot and you need to raise the light up a little bit. If they're running around and are generally active, that means they're just right. Other than that, they just need food, clean water, and to be held/played with. Chicks that are handled often will make friendly hens, or so I've been told.

A pullet is a female chick. I don't think they're ready to live outside until they're about 4 or 5 months old. At least, that's what the lady at the feed store where we bought our chicks told us.

Searching madly through this site. How knew that there are so many chicken lovers out there!

We have a sick chick already and I don't think it will make it through the night. Never thought I'd lead the family in prayers for a chick!