Menu

Is there a Catholic friendly equivalent to SOTW?

MLgriffin

I'm not familiar with that one, and the only review I've been able to find is the Sonlight one. It might be fine, but I've seen some pretty strange things coming from places described as "liberal Catholic publishing houses." :001_huh: Maybe someone here has seen it in person.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Epic yet. This is a DVD series that looks very well done. It's intended for adults, but I think it would be helpful as background or for older children. The catch is that it's expensive, but some families might be able to borrow it from their parish library or attend a local presentation.

We're also going to use A History of England for Catholic Children, which is an old book I found online. I'm sure the author has her own biases, but I enjoy her writing style and the way she explains the role of the faith in the events of history. I think it will be helpful in balancing out the popular portrayals of people like Edward the Confessor and Mary Tudor.

ETA: Just wanted to clarify that this won't be the only book we're using for English history. It isn't impartial (nor does it claim to be), and I know there are parts that Protestants would find offensive and overstated. We will certainly discuss this as we go along. But there aren't really a lot of other options available for younger children for this era.

Edited by Eleanor

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ASuzanne

On the Baldwin project there are works by Eva March Tappan about different periods of history. I found "In the days of Queen Elizabeth to be fair to Mary of Scots and critical when necessary of Elizabeth. Itwas quite informative and a nice read too. :)

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=tappan&book=elizabeth&story=_contents

We are moving into second grade and I am trying to decide on history too. We enjoy Eggleston for US History with read alouds. I have heard recommended VM Hillyer's A Child's History of the World but have not read it. I'll keep following!

I love SOTW. I did also notice a bit of a pro-Protestant bias in Vol. 2. That is NOT SWB's fault; almost every history text ever written has a bias. Every writer's personal experience influences his/her writing, intentionally or not.

Some of the additional resources we used:

K12's "The Human Odyssey" -- Vol 1 goes to 1400, Vol 2 is 1400 to present. This is written at a middle school level, so for my younger child I would paraphrase somewhat. This is one of the best "traditional style" textbooks I've ever seen.

"Famous Men of the Middle Ages" - Memoria's reprint. Not sure how it compares to the original, but my kids enjoyed learning about real people. It puts a "face" on history.

Various books from the library and/or used bookstore - some of our favorites were by Usborne and David McCauley (Castle, Cathedral).

We didn't go too much into the theology issues. I do believe that is better tackled in high school.

It is interesting to see the comments about RCHistory. Our Cath. HS group is starting a co-op next year that uses this.