Menu

Apologia Biology & Advanced Biology In 1 Yr

I e-mailed Dr. Wile, the author of the Apologia Biology textbook, with that question earlier this year. This was his response.

"Thank you for your E-MAIL. In answer to your question, the AP biology exam is a university-level exam. Thus, EC with Biology does not cover all the material on that exam. A student needs to take both EC with Biology and The Human Body to cover all the AP material.

Having said that, many students have written us saying they passed (with a 4 or 5) the AP biology exam by taking just EC with Biology and then spending a lot of time in an AP review book, like Princeton's "Cracking the AP Biology."

God Bless,

Dr. Jay"

Hope this helps.

Ds did both in 1 year. The Biology was mostly a review, not totally new material like the Adv Bio. We treated as an AP class but he did not take the AP exam since his major at the school he was going to attend would not take any science credits from AP or CC.

He was asked by someone local how those 2 compared with his college Bio class and he said that they were good but there was more chemistry in college. He thought AP after those 2 would be iffy. Maybe a prep book could help out and fill the gaps.

My son is doing AP Biology this year through PA HS'ers and I cannot imagine him going into this course without having had a rigorous biology course last year. The AP test is still a few months away so we don't have his score either to see how preparing this way works.

My dd is doing AP Biology this year without having had a true, 1 year biology course beforehand. The most biology she received prior to this was with Rainbow Science (1 semester as we did the two year curriculum in one year). So far she has an "A" in the class; no AP score yet to back up my anecdotal evidence though.