Menu

Schooling a child who needs therapy in VA?

My BIL is navy and is stationed at Norfolk. Their oldest son has SPD and requires therapy. My SIL sounds very disheartened by the public school system there. She was lamenting the fact that there is no open enrollment, and no chance of homeschooling him (though she said she would love to) because he needs therapy (specifically speech). I was under the impression that in most states, homeschoolers are afforded the same opportunities for things like speech therapies that are provided through the school district. I know it does vary by state, so if you know anything VA specific it would be great.

She is really struggling right now and doesn't necessarily see the benefit that homeschooling her very active boy could be. I would love to reach out to her and inform her what really could happen when you're homeschooling a kindy boy who needs lots of time to play and run and jump. I'm not anti PS at all, just isn't right for OUR family. I just hate to see my nephew get shoved into a room, told to sit down and behave, etc when he could really use some time IMO to be fun and active and rambunctious.

Any help or information you could provide would be extraordinarily helpful. :bigear:

Guest momk2000

We are in VA, and my dd has done speech therapy through the ps for 3yrs. Before she started, they did some testing with her, met with dh and myself, and set up an IEP for dd. Unless something has changed, your child is absolutely entitled to receive services through the ps system in VA.