Menu

Latin Alive or Henle Latin?

• 5 months later...

I can tell you my experience currently. We were using Henle. I was happy with it. I had to do a review of Latin Alive and was very impressed so I switched to LA this year for my 8th & 9th grader. BUT after a few weeks, I now have my 9th grader doing Wheelock's and am considering switching my 8th grader back to Henle.

I really LOVE the way Latin Alive is set up, etc. BUT the answer key has many mistakes that are very frustrating. Also, it does not include all the translation answers. My son & I were just translating one of the Latin paragraphs and went to check the answers and they are not included. Very frustrating.

Hard to answer your question. I think LA is great, but if you are not a Latin expert the answer key is frustrating. I have the newest edition too & it still has many mistakes.

(I do think Karen is excellent on the video though)

What reading translations are you missing? There are chapter reading translations in the TE starting on page 269 in my edition. In fact I was just flipping through my TE and noticed unit tests I had forgotten about. :lol:

I have not used Henle, and we completed 1/2 of Latin Alive. I like Latin Alive. The errors don't drive me crazy, I have the errata sheet and Karen is great about answering questions on the yahoo group. I needed something with DVD support. I don't have the Latin background and Karen's teaching is very helpful.

LA is a thorough program. There is a comparison to Wheelocks on the CAP website. We started last year and for many reasons are taking two years to finish. We are also adding Cambridge for the reading portions, mostly because of my son's learning style, not a deficiency in the program.

I really like the layout of the program, I like the teacher support, and I even like having a TE that is a complete copy of the student book. That sounds like such a simple thing, but it's not for me. I bought Cambridge this year, the text, the workbook, and the Teacher's manual. The TM alone was 50.00, now I need another student text if I want to see what ds is supposed to be doing. Those little things frustrate me. CAP has put thought into its teacher's material, even if they need some extra editing.