Menu

Latin and Foreign language

I'll have a 5th and 6th grader this year and I want to include latin and a foreign language. In 3rd and 4th, we used School Song Latin and Minimus. Didn't learn a whole lot, but it exposed them to it anyhow. We've been using la clasa divertida 1 (sp?) for spanish, which has been lots of fun. But it ended abruptly when we discovered one of the tapes didn't work (bought it used, really cheap).

Anyhow... Where should we go with this? I was looking at MP's latin and french. Maybe for my 6th grader, she would like to learn french. Are they good?

My 5th grade, needs something multisensory without a whole lot of writing. And I don't think french would be good for her... we should stick with spanish. Much more consistent. What would be good to look at for her?

Lively Latin-- I read this is supposed to be fun, and incorporates Roman history which dd1 will be studying in 6th. Can this be used with multiple students? I read on there that your access never expires, so could all 3 kids use it?

And I'm open to any suggestions of a FL, I just happened to be looking at MP's stuff...

Edited by SeekingSimplicity

Yes - we use LL with two kids. I like it, but we're only half-way through the first book, so I'm curious where it's going. So far, they have yet to translate anything (unlike Minimus, which we did last year). I love the way art and history and English vocabulary is tied into the Latin.

OK, I think I know what I'm doing in latin. Now for the foreign language...

I don't know a whole lot about what's out there. Any thoughts on MP's french? are there any really good, but not too expensive French programs out there? I took French in highschool and some online courses after that, so I know a tiny bit. And Spanish?

You might take a look at Galore Park for languages. There are 2 levels, one called So You Really Want To Learn..., and Latin Prep/French Prep. I know nothing about Spanish.

Another Latin option is The Latin Road. or Cambridge Latin is meant to follow the Minimus series.

Rosetta Stone is the classic option, as well but I think it is meant mainly for speaking.

To me, Memoria Press looks boring to death.

You might also do a search for French on the boards.

You might take a look at Galore Park for languages. There are 2 levels, one called So You Really Want To Learn..., and Latin Prep/French Prep. I know nothing about Spanish.

Another Latin option is The Latin Road. or Cambridge Latin is meant to follow the Minimus series.

Rosetta Stone is the classic option, as well but I think it is meant mainly for speaking.

To me, Memoria Press looks boring to death.

You might also do a search for French on the boards.

LOL I thought MP looked boring too, but the review sounded good. Rosetta Stone is really more than I want to pay, unless I could find a really good deal on it.