Menu

Best device for audiobooks for young kids?

thundersweet

What do I want? Mp3 player? Ipod? Are those the same thing? lol I am totally lost. I do want something that will start where the kids left off in a story so my 6yo can work it my himself. I also want it to be easy to use. I need 2 of them so reasonable in cost is a plus too.

What do you recommend? Any particular brand names?

Thanks,

Sandy

What do I want? Mp3 player? Ipod? Are those the same thing? lol I am totally lost. I do want something that will start where the kids left off in a story so my 6yo can work it my himself. I also want it to be easy to use. I need 2 of them so reasonable in cost is a plus too.

What do you recommend? Any particular brand names?

Thanks,

Sandy

my kids learned to operate a cd player quickly and early. I didn't want ear phones on their heads until much later. :D

$30 cd players at Walmart & Target.

You have to get what you will actually use. For instance, my husband is willing to buy me an MP3 or an I pod or whatever, he's very technical... they also have docks that would play the audio books out loud like an old fashioned stereo, etc. but the learning curve on that device would be so big for me right now, I just say, "No." For now, I just use i-tunes to burn cds and we use a cheap little cd player that I've had since before I had kids. My daughter can use that herself. So, my advice is to use whatever you are absolutely sure you can actually use... if you know what I mean. ;)

Well, i am really ordering these so dd can listen to some of her SL read alouds on them. With my loud baby in the house, reading aloud is getting difficult. I would need to get ds one as well or that just wouldn't be fair. :lol: cd's don't get used much in this house. They have broken every cd player i have bought them. I think something like an mp3 player is what i need. I just wasn't sure if an ipod would be better or even if there is a difference between the two.

Sandy

We'll be getting my oldest an iPod shuffle for her 5th birthday to store some audio books and select songs. My oldest can run one just fine. They are $50 and come in colors. We'll probably also buy her a headset that limits how loud the volume output really is. (Those run like $20 at WM.)

we are tech-geeks and book lovers. we have ipod, itouch, shuffles and mp3.

shuffles are good for younger ones who don't care if it starts in the same spot or that they cannot see the album/book.

our two girls are using Sony mp3 from Walmart online. they are perfect.

now, if i had money to burn, i would get them nanos or itouch (games and books) b/c it's small but has a screen and is perfectly compatible with itunes, which is what we use.

the mp3 can work with itunes, but it's set up to use windows media player with the cd it comes with. we have macs, so anyway it can take a few steps, but we do it.

also you can easily buy a pair of $10 speakers and plug the mp3 into it at home. you can also buy an audio plug and plug it into your car speakers or if you have a tape deck in your car buy a $10 adapter kit.

very versatile and takes up much less space than a bunch of cds.