Menu

What should I look at for High School Latin for the Unexperienced?

My daughter is 16 and would like to do Latin next year. I have no experience teaching Latin and I am nervous. We did do Latin & Greek Roots when she was younger. I am going to the Cincy convention on March 31st, so what should I look at? I need something that will be independent for her to learn or that will include a lot of hand holding for me. I just want to provide this for her, but I am scared!

An online class would be so much easier than trying to teach it yourself. Maybe you could watch along with her and work together? An online teacher would be much more likely to catch mistakes and guide the student in the right way of thinking.

Lukeion is a great online Latin provider, but it's not the only one. There's Veritas Press, Lone Pine, and others.

My 13yo son takes Latin thru Florida Virtual School. (As FL residents, we get to take the courses for free. However, they are available to non-FL residents for a fee.) He enjoyed the online learning environment and will begin Latin 2 in a few weeks. (I believe they also offer Latin 3.) I did not even want to attempt to teach Latin, since I've got zero experience in it. I was pleased with what he's learned and happy to have a reliable, affordable resource to teach Latin.