Menu

Confused/what to order: Lial's Math

I am on the Pearson website and there are several different pre algebras on there:

Prealgebra (basic math with very early algebra)

Beginning Algebra

Basic Math and Introductory Algebra

Pre Algebra and Introductory Algebra

I'm a little confused....which is the pre algebra that everyone gets? And where do you usually order it from?

Thanks!!

Introductory Algebra = Algebra I, not Pre-Algebra.

Beginning Algebra also = Algebra I, it's similar (or identical?) to Introductory in scope and sequence, but is hardcover and has a different layout and font - Jann in TX has said she prefers Introductory to Beginning.

I'm guessing the one that lists both Pre- and Introductory is a combined Pre-Alg/Alg I text.

Lial's Basic College Mathematics is also considered to be a Pre-Algebra text. It is a thorough review of basic math concepts with things like negative numbers and variables only covered at the very end (chapter 9 of 10).

Their Pre-Algebra text also reviews basic math but has negative numbers and variables mixed in throughout the text from the first chapter, and the basic math review goes a bit more quickly.

The texts are easy to find used on Amazon, Alibris, or other used book sites. One or two editions back is fine and much cheaper. One edition back has boardwalks on the cover; two editions back has windmills on the cover.

This is the one Jann recommended to me: Lial's Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1). We are finishing LBCM this year (7th) and it has been my son's best math year.

From Jann's post in the High School board:

Lial's Introductory Algebra

I like the 8th edition PAPERBACK--hardbacks have different format.

Student text (all that is really needed) 0321279212

Student solutions manual (odd problems) 0321285808

DVT (video lessons on computer) 0321285840

TE (nice to have if you are teaching so you don't have to share books) 0321285859

Edited by mryann

Thank you. Based on your advice I was able to find a pre algebra 3rd ed. (2005) for $8 (shipped) in very good condition. I am hoping to somehow figure out which answer key will match.

My 13 yr old ds has been fiddling around on math the past year or so and I am ready for a textbook approach.

We have use TT 5,6 and 7 successfully and some of the pre algebra before moving to Khan Academy. I feel like pre algebra is the right place for my ds bc he has some math related anxiety and allows his emotions to get in his way. Hopefully this will review and strengthen his skills and prepare him for HS math.

This is the one Jann recommended to me: Lial's Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1). We are finishing LBCM this year (7th) and it has been my son's best math year.

From Jann's post in the High School board:

Lial's Introductory Algebra

I like the 8th edition PAPERBACK--hardbacks have different format.

Student text (all that is really needed) 0321279212

Student solutions manual (odd problems) 0321285808

DVT (video lessons on computer) 0321285840

TE (nice to have if you are teaching so you don't have to share books) 0321285859

Just thought I'd let you know, I ordered all 4 of these items from Amazon last week for $42 (including shipping). I have received 3 items so far and everything matches up. I bought the TE, text, & soln manual used and the DVT new.

HTH,

Jennifer

Nevermind my post, I just realized you needed the "pre algebra". Sorry!

Edited by Jen the RD

I am hoping to somehow figure out which answer key will match.

Once you get the student book, the ISBNs for all the associated materials that match is on the back cover.

Make sure if you're buying used that it says the inside pages are clean - many people use these as a worktext. I bought one copy that said 'like new' and it came with the first three chapters written in! :glare: White-out tape works wonders, though...