Menu

Veteran Rod & Staff English users...

jenL

Did you use it only for grammar, or did you use it for writing as well? I'm trying to contemplate if I should add a writing program to R&S 3 that we'll be using as our grammar program - this is for a 3rd grade boy. We've been using WWE thus far, and we used R&S 2 for grammar this year.

I'm very concerned about writing as it is a skill that I believe must be thoroughly cultivated and made a top priority. I want my boys to be strong writers by the time they are in high school. Do you believe R&S is thorough enough to let it stand on its own as both a grammar and a writing program?

Any insight is welcome! Thanks so much!

I've used R&S all the way through with my older two, and my little guy is in 3.

I think it is enough if, like SWB says, you also are writing in other areas: history narrations, etc.

I also think it is helpful to "extend" the writing lessons in R&S. So, for example, if the lesson is writing a paragraph that gives the steps to do something, have the student practice that skill again the next week or two in other areas. If R&S teaches the friendly letter, have them write a few more letters to family members.

The writing instruction in R&S is subtle. In the early grades, it is more in the sentence structure and individual word choices. Those are important, often oerlooked skills that provide the foundation for writing paragraphs and then reports/essays. As you go up in the R&S grades, the lessons dedicated to what we typically think of as writing instruction increase, also. So before making a decision about whether it is enough, look through the TOC of 6, 7, and 8.

That said :D, I also used IEW for my dc. I learned the TWSS when my oldest was young, and I have used it to teach writing in the subject areas each year. I think writing is incredibly important, and I chose that as the area that I wanted to sepnd a lot of extra time on in the 3rd-8th grade years.

I am not sure if I am a veteran, but my oldest is 1/2 way through the 6th book.

I think the writing instruction in R&S is excellent. My only concerns are that it runs at least a year behind where I want my kids writing and there needs to be more writing practice. They are not really writing paragraphs until the end of third grade. I don't know why, but I feel kids should be writing paragraphs by third and essays by fifth. With my oldest I tried a few other writing programs after R&S 3 and hated them all. So, I decided to have him do the writing assignments in book 4 over the summer. Now, I am having him do Elegant Essay and R&S 6. For practice, I just have them write for history, science, letters, field trips, or anything they want. I find my kids transfer what they have learned with R&S writing, whenever they write. They even outline before writing speeches for their public speaking group.

Here is what I did with my oldest:

Grade 3: Book 3

Summer of grade 3, writing assignments in book 4

Grade 4: Book 4 and writing assignments in book 5

Grade 5: Book 6, The Elegant Essay

Here is what I am doing with my second oldest:

Grade 2: Spectrum grammar workbook

Grade 3: R&S 4 and writing assignments in 3

Grade 4: R&S 4 and writing assignments in 5

Thank you, ladies!

I'm going to look at the TOC's for the later books - that is great advice! We do plan on continuing to narrate in other subject areas, so maybe it will be enough. I'm really just paranoid about writing and the skills being too weak. I'd hate to overkill it though and end up making my kids hate it. Lots to think about...

Thank you, ladies!

I'm going to look at the TOC's for the later books - that is great advice! We do plan on continuing to narrate in other subject areas, so maybe it will be enough. I'm really just paranoid about writing and the skills being too weak. I'd hate to overkill it though and end up making my kids hate it. Lots to think about...

How is your ds doing with the combo of R&S and WWE? Is it too much for him, or is he enjoying it?

The good news is that you don't have to make your decisions for later now. :001_smile: You can take it year by year. As your dc get older, if it is too much, you will see that you need to back off, and if it isn't enough, you will see that you need more.