Menu

Does anyone make their own soap?

Several people here make their own soap! It's easy, cheap, and wonderful! We experiment with ingredients and we each have our favorites. Since we have dairy goats, we've even done goat milk soap. :001_smile:

Dd and I took a soap-making class that was worth every penny. Once you've done it, it's very easy to repeat. I'm glad I had someone right there talking us through it the first time, though.

A friend gave me a lot of supplies when she stopped making soap. I don't know where you can buy anything, but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you good places.

Have fun!

I looked into it, but decided to wait until my dd is older. There were too many warnings about various things that can burn the skin off your hands. Or something like that. Having a toddler around and making soap look to be mutually exclusive, from what I've read.

It does look like a lot of fun, though! Someday...

There were too many warnings about various things that can burn the skin off your hands. QUOTE]

Or much much more. Awful stuff. And if you hear stories about people using lye soap and it burned/stung/hurt, it's because they used it too soon. The process takes longer than just the soap hardening. We always wait at least 6 weeks. After that, it is perfectly gentle. I used it on my babies from their first bath on.

I stop making soap about 2 years ago. I truly loved making and using our own soap, being able to use only essential oils and no synthetic fragrance at all. Lye was easier to find, but nowadays people use to make meth stuff so it is not readily available in all areas. I use to order mine in bulk, but had to go through all sorts of forms and stuff. It was ok for me. The thing to do, is to learn the theory behind soap making. Get books from the library and educate yourself as much as possible. Then take a class if you can. Now, if you have small children, you must consider this all together. For me, prior to moving to Wisconsin I live in a more weather friendly place and always mixed my lye outside where fumes would not be trapped in the house. I always used a mask and my dd was never around. Now in WI I would have to mix the lye in our basement and I do not like the idea of having the fumes there. Besides I have a baby and certainly do not want to e messing with it. Once you start the process (separate oils, essential oils/fragrance, and mixing lye) you cannot stop until it is all in the mold. It is not a very long process but you cannot stop. With small children, baby, or toddler, it is certainly not a good thing to be doing. I may go back into after a while, but for now I buy soap for our family.

It is fun, the soaps are wonderful for the skin and can even be a source of income.

Be well

Miriam