Menu

MOH as a narrative spine instead of SOTW?

Aloha2U

I'm continuing to weigh my options for our next school year with VP's OTAE, and Mystery of History has entered my radar as being a possible narrative supplement instead of SOTW. I do plan on using some Guerber too (though more w/Bible), but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about using MOH with VP.

So... MOH or SOTW? That is my question of the day. :D

I'm not sure about using MOH with VP, but I notice your dc is young. We used MOH instead of SOTW1 and it went well. I loved the emphasis on Bible. However, once we got to MOH2 it was too much for my younger kids. My 8 y/o at the time was the only one really grasping anything and he is a bright kiddo.

I think you could certainly use MOH1, but before you continue on in the series you might want to take a look at Vol. 2.

That being said, I really enjoyed MOH. I'm probably going to use it to supplement my oldest's return to Ancients next year.... I think it would be a perfect Logic stage spine.

I'm continuing to weigh my options for our next school year with VP's OTAE, and Mystery of History has entered my radar as being a possible narrative supplement instead of SOTW. I do plan on using some Guerber too (though more w/Bible), but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about using MOH with VP.

I know there is a schedule in the MOH 1 yahoo group files that coordinate the two, but that is about it.

Heather

I'm curious as well. We stopped using SOTW early on in the year and just kept doing our BJU. I'd like to use MOH.

:bigear:

I'm curious as well. We stopped using SOTW early on in the year and just kept doing our BJU. I'd like to use MOH.

:bigear:

I have mixed feelings on using MOH with young kids. I did with my oldest, who is a history loving auditory learner. But that was with the 1st edition of MOH, which had shorter lessons. We did take longer, about a year and a half. She did continue into MOH 2 despite the jump in the length of lessons and amount of detail. But she continued to love it.

But I know my younger three would have found it tedious at that age. They loved the activities though.

It might work, it might not.

Heather

I'm in the exact same boat as you!! I really like the look of VP's history (it fits my style of teaching and my child's love of visuals), but I like MOH, too. I actually bought MOH 1 used just so I could look at it in detail. Plus, a good friend just finished SOTW 1 and is letting me borrow it and the AG so I can get a feel for it.

Saying all that to say - I'm still not sure what/how we are going to do ancients in the fall. My dd is starting 3rd grade and is ready to go deeper in history so I really want this to be a great year. Right now I'm leaning toward VP as our main history, MOH as a supplement (for Bible, too), and maybe the SOTW AG for additional activities as my dd loves projects. Does that sound crazy or what? I really feel comfortable putting my own schedule together and I love history so I don't mind the work.

Sorry I can't help you decide, but I'm right there with you in trying to look at all the options!!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've officially decided against MOH as our narrative supplement for history, not because I don't like it (though I don't care for the CD samples at all). I tend to agree with the concensus... I'll keep MOH in the back of my mind as an option for later down the road (logic stage), but SOTW is what we'll use (during the grammar stage), especially since I already have it.

Just in case anyone would like to know, I compared the two by reading aloud, about the Punic Wars, to my hubby and little man from both resources... first from MOH1 sample lesson 91 and then SOTW1 chapter twenty-nine. Unfortunately, there were discrepancies in how many elephants made the long journey and went into battle. MOH stated that only 1 elephant made it to battle, all the rest died on the way. SOTW portrayed a herd of elephants attacking. Just fyi... I decided to do a quick check and cross-reference the matter w/Kingfisher's Illustrated History of the World, and it states that 12 elephants made the journey. :001_huh:

All this is to say that my boys preferred SOTW, so that's what we'll use.

:001_smile: Melissa

Edited by CMama