Menu

BCM vs. PreAlgebra

I've been reading some of the math threads recently and was wondering something...What is the difference between Basic College Mathematics and PreAlgebra? From what I've read, it looks like they cover many of the same topics. Am I missing something? :tongue_smilie:

BCM really focuses on elementary math. It uses larger numbers, and does move into algebra type stuff, but the focus is a solid foundation. BCM has 10 chapters.

The Prealgebra text covers a lot of the same material, but at a faster pace and going farther into Algebra topics.

For example in BCM you have:

6.1 basics of percents, 6.2 Percents and Fractions, 6.3 Identifying the components in a percent problem, 6.4 Using proportions to solve percent problems, 6.5 Using the percent equation, 6.6 Solving application problems with percent, 6.7 Simple Interest, 6.8 Compound Interest

In Pre-Algebra you have:

7.1 Basics of Percent (combination of 6.1 & 6.2), 7.2 Percent Proportion (6.3 & 6.4), 7.3 Percent Equation, 7.4 Problem Solving with Percent, 7.5 Consumer Applications: Sales Tax, Tips, Discounts and Simple Interest (6.7 and more). Compound Interest is covered briefly in one exercise but not as a unit.

Heather

Thanks to you both for the replies and the thread. They were very helpful. Now to figure out which one to actually use?? :glare: I think I'm leaning towards PreAlgebra, especially if he doesn't need all the review. I'm thinking he will get frustrated with all the review. Fortunately, I have a little time before I have to make that decision.

Any reviews on Lial's PreAlgebra?