Menu

I hope I am not intruding...

Crissy

as I haven't homeschooled my high school son since 9th grade.

He is a junior at the local high school this year.

He is narrowing the list of colleges to which he will apply and near the top is Cook Honors College at IUP.

I wonder if anyone here has looked into CHC or maybe even visited. We are in the Pacific Northwest, so it won't be easy for us to pop over and take a look.

Sorry no info about Cook but I just wanted to say it's nice to "see" you again. Enjoy the college search!

Thank you! I've missed many of you on the General Board!

No info here, but you certainly aren't intruding. Welcome to the board - and please - feel free to share any info you find out about places. I'm still gleaning off many threads as my three boys are heading three different (college) directions.

Thank you!

Darn! I was hoping folks here had some good intel for you. How did you learn about this program? I googled, and it looks awfully interesting!

Jeffrey recieved one of their brochures.

He is currently looking at their summer honors program, and the folks there have been great about answering his questions. Those are two very expensive weeks, though!

I asked a little bit at our guidance office for you. The college counselor said IUP is the largest of PA's true state colleges (Penn St, Pitt, and Temple are all state related, not true state colleges) and their Honors College is a good way for kids to get a small, higher level, LAC education at the price of a state college education.

I kind of expected to hear more about it (pros, cons, specifics, etc), but I honestly don't think she knew more. She's young and fairly new plus she told me most kids and/or parents insist on their kids staying within an hour of our location so she knows a lot about colleges within an hour, but not so much about those further away.

Wish I could have been of more help.

I asked a little bit at our guidance office for you. The college counselor said IUP is the largest of PA's true state colleges (Penn St, Pitt, and Temple are all state related, not true state colleges) and their Honors College is a good way for kids to get a small, higher level, LAC education at the price of a state college education.

I kind of expected to hear more about it (pros, cons, specifics, etc), but I honestly don't think she knew more. She's young and fairly new plus she told me most kids and/or parents insist on their kids staying within an hour of our location so she knows a lot about colleges within an hour, but not so much about those further away.

Wish I could have been of more help.

Thank you for this. The small nature of the Honors College is one of the things that appeals to us.