Menu

Versions of the Bible

Why do different denominations favor differ versions of the Bible?

I just signed my 8 yr old up for church camp (Episcopal) this summer and among the packing list items -- a Bible. We have always used the NRSV (or when I was a kid -- the RSV) - and figure I'd get that version for her too. But I really don't know why we use that one over other versions. I remember going to a Christian school (of the fundamentalist variety) and being told that I didn't have the "real" Bible and had to get the NIV. And I know there are folks who refuse to use anything but the KJV.

So... what's the big deal? Which denominations favor which versions? Does it only matter if you take the Bible word-for-word literally? Or is it about the prose or readabilty?

I don't know that it is denomination based

At least around here, it seems to depend on the church (and most churches I have been to don't tell you what version to use at all -- but there is a version that is preferred by the pastor/used to display on the wall and often folk will want the same version being used Sunday morning)

I think my husband uses the RSV -- it is what he grew up with and he likes it

I like the KJV (what I grew up with) and my NASB.

We have not yet gotten anything but storybooks for our son.

Different denominations (actually each individual church) chooses based on their own reasons. Some for readability, some for accuracy, etc. My husband chooses the NASB for our family because he has looked at the original in Hebrew/Greek and thinks it's the most accurate. But my kids are using the KJV in AWANA (though they are allowed to use a different version if they choose- it makes it easier for the leaders to have all the kids using the same version, whatever it is), and our church uses a different version- it makes it easier to follow along if someone is reading aloud, but of course they allow other versions.

There is no "real" Bible (where the other denominations are not valid), there are good things about each of them. They all say the same thing ultimately.

I'd get your daughter the same version as the rest of the family, especially if you read together as a family. If you don't, you could just choose a popular kids version (there seem to be the most kid versions in NIV, but we found a Kid's Study Bible using NASB and since they were going out of print, ordered them for all my kids before they could even read - I still have one sitting on the shelf waiting for my 5 year old to grow into it). The kid versions usually have slightly larger print, and put in some explanations or character sketches throughout. There are a few pictures as well. But the text is the same.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the KJV was the first translation, and that may be why some won't use anything else.

In my personal experience I have noticed the following:

2 different Methodist churches I was part of used the NRSV mostly

2 different Southern Baptist churches, and many non-denominational ones, used NIV

For literal accuracy, the NASB, ESV, and NKJV are popular.

There are some KJV only folks, but I can't speak to that personally. I am not a fan, I think there were too many political reasons for certain choices made in the translation.

The version matters for me since I do take the Bible as literal, so I prefer a more literally accurate version over one that is readable or has flowery language.

I find the ESV to be a good blend of accuracy and readability though.

You might see if the church or camp that your dc is going to has a website, then see if there are any Bible verses quoted on the site, maybe you will be able to tell what version they use?

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the KJV was the first translation, and that may be why some won't use anything else.

Not first. Maybe most widely circulated at an early day because it was commissioned by the King of England instead of being proscribed?

The Septuagint was an early translation into Greek. (maybe the first)

The Vulgate was a translation into Latin.

The Wycliffe Bible is one of the earliest English translations

Another early English Bible is the Geneva Bible (http://genevabiblepages.com/)

Tyndale also worked at translating the bible