Menu

Tell me about Tapestry of Grace?

jenniferp8

I'm not planning to get the Medieval one either, since I have the World History one already. I was wondering about it and did a search, and found TOG people saying they were the same content, but you just can't go by the page numbers, obviously. They said it was easy to figure out which page via the topic you're studying. :)

But at the same time, it will be nice to have someone verify that info for sure. :D

Ok, that sounds good.

Actually I just noticed Rainbow Resource lists the Usborne IL World History Enc. for grades 4-12 and the Ancient World book for grades 4-Adult :lol:. Not sure what the difference is in that, but I guess they are trying to say it is slightly more advanced.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Usborne+Encyclopedia+of+World+History+pb/018005/1300828613-1292292

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Encyclopedia+of+the+Ancient+World+%28Internet-Linked%29+Paperback/035055/1300828613-1292292

When we are on our second cycle I will put more focus on the Ancient World book with Adrian and just use the World History one as an added resource. Change things up a bit ;).

Edited by Guest

I'm not planning to get the Medieval one either, since I have the World History one already. I was wondering about it and did a search, and found TOG people saying they were the same content, but you just can't go by the page numbers, obviously. They said it was easy to figure out which page via the topic you're studying. :)

But at the same time, it will be nice to have someone verify that info for sure. :D

Thank you for posting this, I don't visit the TOG forums much (I don't have time for more than one forums :tongue_smilie:). We are collecting the Usborne books so I wouldn't mind buying it if it is different and has something more to offer but it does seem very likely that that section is the same. I will confirm for sure though.

Yep, the pages definitely will not match but the titles are exactly the same so I was going to go based on that. I may even take a pic of the two side by side for proof. Yah, I am that crazy :lol:.

Now are you referring to the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History? It appears that one has gone out of print. The one you linked at RR does not appear to be internet linked.

Same one just click on the preview pages and read the cover ;). I have the old cover. I bought a few months before the new one came out. This is the new edition :).

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-History/dp/0794526888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300830872&sr=8-1

Thank you for posting this, I don't visit the TOG forums much (I don't have time for more than one forums :tongue_smilie:). We are collecting the Usborne books so I wouldn't mind buying it if it is different and has something more to offer but it does seem very likely that that section is the same. I will confirm for sure though.

Yep, the pages definitely will not match but the titles are exactly the same so I was going to go based on that. I may even take a pic of the two side by side for proof. Yah, I am that crazy :lol:.

:bigear:

I want to benefit from your craziness.:lol:

I find all Usborne's muliple titles/editions/linked vs. non, a bit...:confused::tongue_smilie:.

:bigear:

I want to benefit from your craziness.:lol:

I find all Usborne's muliple titles/editions/linked vs. non, a bit...:confused::tongue_smilie:.

Jennifer, I know you have said that your library system is not that great where you are. My library system is pretty good and they carry many of the Usborne titles. If you have any questions on comparisons feel free to PM me and if I don't have the specific books I can put them on hold and let you know :). Hmm... I haven' t sent you a forum friend request yet. Sending one now to make it easier for you to find me :D.

They came out with a new edition of the Usborne World History one. I have the previous edition, which I purchased new in November. So it's a pretty recent update. I think they're the same though. The samples look the same. Just different covers. :tongue_smilie:

Jennifer, I know you have said that your library system is not that great where you are. My library system is pretty good and they carry many of the Usborne titles. If you have any questions on comparisons feel free to PM me and if I don't have the specific books I can put them on hold and let you know :). Hmm... I haven' t sent you a forum friend request yet. Sending one now to make it easier for you to find me :D.

Thanks Marie! You are so helpful! We Canadian types need to stick together! ;)

(Now where is the Canadian flag waving smilie...:hat: - this is the closest I can find!)

Download a three week sample and USE it. See how you like it. I love TOG, but it isn't for everyone. I would use redesigned hands down.

Now, as far as resource books. DO NOT BUY ANY UNTIL YOU HAVE THE IG. Can I say it again: DO NOT BUY ANY UNTIL YOU HAVE THE IG.

I did the first year and I was really sorry. For lower grammar and upper grammar it is very possible to substitute books, get books from the library etc as there are no specific questions for them to answer. There are just fun projects and/or writing assignments. They give you ideas on how to combine resources as well. Basically, I sit down with the IG open and look through my books with what I can use and/or how I will combine. You can sometimes raise or lower a kid a level if you need to. You really need to buy the rhetoric books. The dialectic can be a little more flexible IF you are flexible with whether or not they can answer the questions. A few times I have had a different resource and I've warned my children: Find what you can as far as the answers go. This isn't the same book they told me to use. I won't penalize you. Just do the best you can.

Then what they can't get, I'll lecture. I love the teacher's notes and the flexibility. I love combining resources, using the alternates or ignoring the alternates altogether. I can use it according to my season in life and/or the kids interests. I've taken 2 weeks to do one week in TOG and done 3 weeks in 1. I love that it is mine to use and adjust and there is so much in there for me to use. But...that is what drives some people batty. They want Sonlight that tells them you must read these pages of this book and these pages from this book. ( Never could do that...)

Christine

Not to hijack, but I wanted to thank Christine for this post. For some reason, I needed to hear this, especially the bolded part. Our brains seemed to be wired along the same lines, because the SL approach would drive me nuts. I'm more of a "Show me the map" kind of person. ;) You have actually sold me on Tapestry, and answered my questions about how to use it with younger students, then how to use it later at the upper levels. Thanks!

They came out with a new edition of the Usborne World History one. I have the previous edition, which I purchased new in November. So it's a pretty recent update. I think they're the same though. The samples look the same. Just different covers. :tongue_smilie:

I purchased a month before you :). When the new one came out I searched for as many sample pages as I could find because I was interested in finding out the changes. I think I ended up in one of the Usborne websites for more samples (the UK one I think, if I remember correctly). There seem to be some very minor changes. Some of the pages don't line up exactly as I recall (off by a page or two) but very very minor changes. I would look it up and post links but no time right now. It doesn't really matter anyway in this case since the old one is no longer available.

Thanks Marie! You are so helpful! We Canadian types need to stick together! ;)

(Now where is the Canadian flag waving smilie...:hat: - this is the closest I can find!)

Yep, I am biased when it comes to fellow Canadians. How do you like this one ;)?

canadian_flag-4156.gif

Seek and you shall find my friend... seek and you shall find :D!

Not to hijack, but I wanted to thank Christine for this post. For some reason, I needed to hear this, especially the bolded part. Our brains seemed to be wired along the same lines, because the SL approach would drive me nuts. I'm more of a "Show me the map" kind of person. ;) You have actually sold me on Tapestry, and answered my questions about how to use it with younger students, then how to use it later at the upper levels. Thanks!

Hijack :lol:! I don't think you can hijack this thread any more than it already has :tongue_smilie:.

The version I have correlates with Biblioplan, which we're using now, though we haven't used it lately. My son's eyes glaze over when I pull it out.

Give it a year or so. My son turned 7 in October. It works well with him and he loves the Internet links. He just finds them himself and we check them out together. Then again there are kids that absolutely cannot handle them (the Usborne book I mean). They find the scattered images with the text all over distracting. Check if you kiddo belongs in that category. If that is the case you may want to check some of the Kingfisher. If your child doesn't like the format there's no point in spending the money on Usborne.

Edited by Guest

I think it's the fact that it's snippets of information here and there. I don't like it either (we have similar personalities and learning styles).

I should try having him read it himself though. Maybe he'd like it better.

I'll get Kingfisher eventually. I haven't even looked at samples yet, as everyone says it's better for logic stage.

Woohoo! Very impressive! :)

(Psst. Check out my post count! Queen Bee coming soon! Heehee

:thumbup: You're getting there! Wish I could give you some of my extras to get to 750 faster :).

I think it's the fact that it's snippets of information here and there. I don't like it either (we have similar personalities and learning styles).

I should try having him read it himself though. Maybe he'd like it better.

I'll get Kingfisher eventually. I haven't even looked at samples yet, as everyone says it's better for logic stage.

Yep, that's what those that don't like the Usborne books usually can't handle. I have heard the whole family not liking them in certain instances. As for Kingfisher, I find the books meatier (more info/ more text) but Rainbow has rated the World History book between grades 4-10

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Kingfisher+History+Encyclopedia+%28revised%29/003618/1300857273-201894

Amazon has conflicting information:

- School Library Journal: Grades 5 and up.

- Booklist says

Designed to help students ages 8-14 with homework
- And then Amazon rates it at the 9-12 reading level

:lol: http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-History-Encyclopedia-Editors/dp/0753457849/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300859212&sr=1-1

I think the only way to decide for yourself is to check it out at your library. I just put it on hold at our library (even though I will be buying anyway) to check it out and see how I will work it into next year's studies. I found and put on hold the literature selections and worldview (LG) for the first two weeks of TOG Year 2 and I want to start my planning slowly now. I also have the SOTW Vol 2 from the library but they don't have the AG so I won't be deciding on activities until I buy and have that in my hands also. Anyway, if you can find it at your library or through a friend check it out and see how you feel. When Adrian was younger and I had the Usborne Children's Encyclopedia, I just picked from the text what I thought he might be interested in finding out and we just discussed the pics. If Kingfisher works better for you you can go over the section each time and just put a couple of stickies next to the info you want to read so that you don't mark your books ;). Try to find what works for you and your family :). I like DK also but alas, we can't get everything. I like having various sources because there's always something different between them.

Hi :)

We found that using the World History does the job...and makes the kids practice with indeces, table of contents, et. al. so I didn't get the other ones. Also, we use the other books, so it is not our Core source for study.

So far as Streams of Civ., I just wanted to pipe in. I have 1 who loves it (she's a real equation plugger if you know what I mean) and 2 who don't (they prefer living books). It doesn't read as narratively as SOTW, much more textbook, but does a great job of including all you need to know about history and adding in the God factor. It is a spine around here for sure and a nice compliment to the page 4 Core.

Hi :)

We found that using the World History does the job...and makes the kids practice with indeces, table of contents, et. al. so I didn't get the other ones. Also, we use the other books, so it is not our Core source for study.

Tina, the Usborne Medieval Times book IS the Core History Reading from page 4 for Year 2 Unit 1 and Unit 2 up to week 14, which is why it is important to compare with the Usborne World History Book. The only other books for history are those added on some weeks under History in-depth but the Core book is the Medieval Times book. All the Core history reading is from there ;).

ETA: I am referring to the LG student history reading.

As promised I am posting to inform those interested that the Usborne IL Medieval Times book's content is the same as the section of the Usborne IL World History Encyclopedia covering that topic. The only differences are:

a) The Medieval Times book is slightly larger

b) The introductory page (only) is worded slightly differently but still basically says the same thing between the two.

Please note that I have compared it to the previous edition of the World History (the new one came out in Jan. 2011 as per link I included in a previous post) but based on an online comparison I did between the new edition and older edition they do not appear to have made any significant changes in the new one. For those however that may have the new edition and would like to make sure, you can do as I did and try to get the Medieval Times book from your library for comparison.

Below I am attaching a pic so you can see the two covers of the books I compared and also the slight size difference between the two, if this makes any difference to someone.

[ATTACH]4860[/ATTACH]

And here are some side-by-side comparisons of some of the pages :D.

[ATTACH]4861[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4863[/ATTACH]

Edited by Guest

THANK YOU Marie, for sharing your research with us all!! :) No sense in buying duplicate books!

You're welcome my dear :). I agree, there's no sense in buying duplicate books. Also, with the World History book you get more for your money ;). I am glad we bought that one first, otherwise we would have ended up with both since I would have still wanted to get the World History Encyclopedia.