Menu

x-post on K-8 Curriculum: Math help

What do you do with a child that simply can NOT count on from one number to the next? My dd will be 10 this summer and we have not gotten past a mid-1st grade level in math. I'm beginning to think it all boils down to this problem. I have tried and tried and tried to get her to see that once you know you've got 4 (or 15, or 30), you don't have to start counting at 1 again to add something to it! She says it's too confusing that way and she gets all messed up. She HAS to start at 1 every.single.time! For example, if I ask, "what's 2 more than 7?" she starts counting at 1. Or even, "what's 3 more than 30?" she'll start counting from 1 even when looking at the numbers on the 100 chart!!:banghead:

She doesn't understand why 8+2 is related to 10-8. She was frustrated to the point of tears just a few weeks ago trying to write 1 addition problem and 2 subtraction problems for a picture showing a set of 7 blue balls and 5 red ones. She still doesn't understand place value and gets hundreds, tens, and units confused. And yet, she was on grade-level last year (3rd) for fractions! She thinks fractions are easy and I don't know why.

I have the RightStart abacus and games, MUS blocks, cuisenaire rods, a math balance, fraction balance, a hundred number chart made of Lauri pegs.... I've tried just about everything I can think of to help her understand how numbers work and it just isn't helping! I don't think it's just my teaching since ds has learned everything I've been trying to teach her and is now teaching himself multiplication. I just don't know what else to do!

This is my son. MUS rods helped a lot, but he still didn't have much number sense and subtraction is a nightmare. We've been using Semple Math for the last month or so and it's identified some of those hidden issues (counting on is a big one with him) and given exercises to help the student get them. It even includes notes for working with older remedial students that are helpful. Here's the link:

http://www.semplemath.com/

You can download the Level 1 Teacher's Manual for about $8 to a Kindle or computer with a Kindle reader on Amazon, so it's not a huge investment to get started. You probably won't need the first workbook and you can make your own cards.

What do you do with a child that simply can NOT count on from one number to the next? My dd will be 10 this summer and we have not gotten past a mid-1st grade level in math. I'm beginning to think it all boils down to this problem. I have tried and tried and tried to get her to see that once you know you've got 4 (or 15, or 30), you don't have to start counting at 1 again to add something to it! She says it's too confusing that way and she gets all messed up. She HAS to start at 1 every.single.time! For example, if I ask, "what's 2 more than 7?" she starts counting at 1. Or even, "what's 3 more than 30?" she'll start counting from 1 even when looking at the numbers on the 100 chart!!:banghead:

She doesn't understand why 8+2 is related to 10-8. She was frustrated to the point of tears just a few weeks ago trying to write 1 addition problem and 2 subtraction problems for a picture showing a set of 7 blue balls and 5 red ones. She still doesn't understand place value and gets hundreds, tens, and units confused. And yet, she was on grade-level last year (3rd) for fractions! She thinks fractions are easy and I don't know why.

I have the RightStart abacus and games, MUS blocks, cuisenaire rods, a math balance, fraction balance, a hundred number chart made of Lauri pegs.... I've tried just about everything I can think of to help her understand how numbers work and it just isn't helping! I don't think it's just my teaching since ds has learned everything I've been trying to teach her and is now teaching himself multiplication. I just don't know what else to do!

I have a child who struggled with this, and I know how frustrating it can be. :angelsad2:

Yllek's book suggestions are excellent. Also check out books regarding dyslexia/dyscalculia by Steve Chinn and Brian Butterworth.

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Dyslexics-Dyscalculia-Steve-Chinn/dp/0470026928/ref=pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Dyscalculia-Guidance-Specific-Learning-Difficulties/dp/0708711529/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300205897&sr=8-2

And "Teaching Mathematics to Students With Learning Disabilities":

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=1850

What really helped my son the most were lessons using a combination of manipulatives, particularly the "On Cloud Nine" number line, combined with customized worksheets to complement the lessons.

The aim of the manipulatives was understanding, and the worksheets were for instant reinforcement and memorization.

Somewhere in my pile of dyscalculia books, there was a recommendation for using strings of beads for practicing "counting on", so I made some for counting by 1's, 3's, 5's 10's and so on, color-coding the increments for instant recognition. The giant "On Cloud Nine" number line (counts to 100, showing increments of 10) along with counting cubes was combined with worksheets made up on the computer (8 + 2 = 10 grouped with 10-8 = 2, etc.). We'd set up the number line on the floor, do the problems with the cubes, and then practice the same problems with the worksheets.

Once he understood relative value and adding and subtracting smaller amounts, we started adding and subtracting larger numbers, using the tens tables which he had memorized as a framework for adding and subtracting within and beyond each increment of ten, once again using the giant number line first, having him explain it to make sure he understood, and then on the the worksheets for more reinforcement. The light bulb went on, I think, because this was a simple and direct way for him to see the relative value of numbers and memorize the framework at the same time, but who knows? :confused: It was just such a relief when it finally sunk in. :)

For place value, we used charts with the columns labeled, along with the "Keys to" percents books. By copying the chart himself a few times and then referring to it over and over as he practiced in the workbook, the concept sank in. It might be easiest to comprehend and retain if you start with tenths, do a bunch of practice problems with only the single digit to the right of the decimal, look at pictures of things divided into tenths (or the MUS blocks) then add hundredths, thousandths and so on, digit by digit, over a few weeks rather than all at once. Also relating the values to money seemed to help with understanding.

I think if you continue to experiment and observe your child, you'll be able to come up with some different ways of presenting the info that will finally make sense to her. Sometimes it feels like hunting for a needle in a haystack, I know! :tongue_smilie: But keep on plugging and breakthroughs will happen. :) Good luck!

Thank you all so much for the info! I now have a LOT of reading and more research to do....

I guess what bothers me most is that she could do these things in Kindergarten! At the end of K she could add up to 10, say the next number through about 50, count backwards from 20, etc. The more we work, the worse she seems to get. We also just had our ST re-eval. Things she could do 6 months ago, she now can't. Even her therapist is stumped.